• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Mk ii image quality - what am I doing wrong? (1 Viewer)

I bought a 7D Mk 2 in January 2015. I had to send it back because the focus was all over the place.
The replacement has been fine for me, a big improvement over the 600D.
I use the 400 f5.6 prime always. I checked the micro adjustment and it was a tiny bit behind in the focussing.
Now I can get some very sharp focussed birds, even at some distance.
I almost always use Aperture priority, and set the ISO at a maximum of 400 unless it is in deep forest, or dawn and dusk. I use AI Servo and spot focussing with centre spot only.
Even though the lens is venerable now, it is super fast and very accurate. It is light to carry all day and great for BiF.

I bought a 7D Mk 2 in January 2015. I had to send it back because the focus was all over the place.
The replacement has been fine for me, a big improvement over the 600D.
I use the 400 f5.6 prime always. I checked the micro adjustment and it was a tiny bit behind in the focussing.
Now I can get some very sharp focussed birds, even at some distance.
I almost always use Aperture priority, and set the ISO at a maximum of 400 unless it is in deep forest, or dawn and dusk. I use AI Servo and spot focussing with centre spot only.
Even though the lens is venerable now, it is super fast and very accurate. It is light to carry all day and great for BiF.

Hi I still have my 150-500 although it has not seen the light of day for quite a while. Due to me buying the siggy 500mm 4.5. I found with this lens it always worked rather well if you bring it in slightly at say 475mm and used F7.1. As an advisory I found it useless with an converter. To be fair I have not tried it with my 7d2.
Kind regards mike

I don't think the IQ of the 7D2 is up for question, for me it's quite competent and capable. Here is a link to some recent images taken with it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42561920@N06/
I do find though that it can be frustratingly erratic and too many shots are marginally OOF. maybe it's just some settings tweaks needed.
Regards.

I find that on a series of shots with a target changing range rapidly (e.g. BIF, airborne aircraft) the camera can't quite keep up at maximum shooting rate, so I often get one in, one out, one in, one out etc. Generally this is with my Mk1 500mm f4 IS. Recent experience shooting large aircraft close makes me suspect its not quite such an issue with a short light lens such as the 100mm macro non-IS USM - just that a faster lens keeps up better.

I also use AV, centre point with central spot, unless I'm shooting BIF with background clutter such as Hobbies at Pudmore Pond, Thursley, when I go to the cross of points extending out.

I wouldn't really be worried about the keeper rate unless I wasn't getting any at all. I have become aware that my panning is not quite as good as I thought it was!

John

I find that on a series of shots with a target changing range rapidly (e.g. BIF, airborne aircraft) the camera can't quite keep up at maximum shooting rate, so I often get one in, one out, one in, one out etc. Generally this is with my Mk1 500mm f4 IS. Recent experience shooting large aircraft close makes me suspect its not quite such an issue with a short light lens such as the 100mm macro non-IS USM - just that a faster lens keeps up better....

John

I haven't had enough experience with my 7D MkII to comment on John's point quoted, but using my 1D MkIV when shooting a kingfisher with fish on a perch (at Rye Meads), the kingfisher suddenly flew off, to its nest hole. I was using the same lens as John, (EF 500 F/4L IS) and max rate (10fps) on the 1D Mk IV. First shots after take off were hopelessly blurred, but I held the shutter button down, and the camera acquired focus just before the kingfisher flew into its nest hole. Shutter speed was 1/1000s. On the previous shot to this, the wings were not moving as fast, and appear sharper. (Yes, I know I've over-sharpened it...)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102177471/AP/14727cap Kingfisher flying to nest-hole.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back