• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS RP motor keeps running after taking photos. (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I've recently bought a Canon EOS RP body, and am using a ring adaptor mount with my old lenses. It's nice and lightweight and I appreciate being able to use the ring to change the exposure compensation quickly when moving between photographing birds against the light and on the forest floor.

But something in it keeps running after I take photos. Even if I turn the camera off, in fact, this still happens. The battery is often running out after just one day's use, and I suspect that the lengthy running of the motor has something to do with that. Any suggestions as to what it is that keeps running, and how I can prevent it, if possible?

Is your adapter a genuine canon adapter?If it's a metabones adapter you can experience the same symptoms.Until you diagnose the problem take your battery out after you've switched the camera off & leave it out until next use.

Yes it is. I think the problem may only be occurring with my large 100-400mm Canon lens, not the 18-55mm one. I suppose taking the battery out all the time is one solution, but far from ideal.

I traded in my RP a few months back, but I remember similar problems. If I had a lens with image stabiliser, then the camera would keep running for about 30 seconds or more after I had switched it off. Switching IS off made no difference. But when using a lens without IS, then the camera would switch off immediately. This happened both with EF lenses attached with a Canon adapter, as well as with dedicated RF lenses. Thankfully, my batteries lasted longer han yours apparently do. Suggest you either take out the battery as suggested, or detach the lens from the camera body.
SW

I traded in my RP a few months back, but I remember similar problems. If I had a lens with image stabiliser, then the camera would keep running for about 30 seconds or more after I had switched it off. Switching IS off made no difference. But when using a lens without IS, then the camera would switch off immediately. This happened both with EF lenses attached with a Canon adapter, as well as with dedicated RF lenses. Thankfully, my batteries lasted longer han yours apparently do. Suggest you either take out the battery as suggested, or detach the lens from the camera body.
SW
Thanks, so it sounds like it is the image stabiliser. I can't replicate the problem now I'm at home. But next time it happens I'll try removing the battery. Possibly just opening the battery cover will work as I think that activates a sensor.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back