• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cataracts experience (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
What is your experience with cataracts and how the lenses they use, affect your vision and binocular use ?

Jerry

What is your experience with cataracts and how the lenses they use, affect your vision and binocular use ?

Jerry
The surgeon in NYC gave me two options, either glasses for near distance such as reading and computer work or glasses for driving and distance viewing.
I chose the former and am birding without glasses for the first time in decades.
It makes using small aperture binocs much more comfortable, as glasses are not in the way, plus rain is no longer that much of a bother.
Of course there are other lens replacements which seek to allow both near as well as distance vision, but the doctors I dealt with were not confident in them, so I accepted that I'd need glasses for close up vision. Thus far I'm happy with the results.

If you need cataract surgery, have it done.

Barring any other ophthalmic problems, you should be able to see like a twelve-year-old, after healing.

You will need reading glasses.

I would stay away from the so-called “all-distance” implants, and tell the ophthalmologist that you want to be focused at infinity.

"Barring any other ophthalmic problems" indeed.

Went into cataract surgery with scars in both eyes from vitreous detachment few years ago. Opted for distance vision preference, with Toric lens to correct significant astigmatism. Latter corrected astigmatism in both eyes, which I gather doesn't always happen. Knew i would need some sort of eyeglasses to provide reading/computer ability. Having used readers in between eye 1 and eye 2 surgeries, I thought they were too fiddly, so planned on eyeglasses with no or minimal correction on top (depending) and conventional flat top bifocal for close. Left eye came out of surgery less than perfect do to vitreous scarring. Right is lovely. Definitely need sun glasses as the world is wonderfully bright, whites are really white... As I use Sibley and Cornell/Merlin apps on phone to bird, need close vision, I pretty quickly decided to wear eyeglasses setup like above, for that. Having wondered, reading here some time back, if I was experiencing collimation issues in my binocs, (albeit each of them), couple months after surgery discovered in fact I was experiencing double vision at distance. Had to have eyeglasses re-lensed with "prism" lens to fix that. So eyeglasses now required for two reasons. Cant blame surgery for vitreous scars, or double vision. Do think the process led to identification of other issues not fully understood before, and now addressed. Vision definitely better, eyeglass prescription simpler, less expensive. Pretty sure I can pass drivers license eye exam without glasses. Ha!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back