• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

celestron ultima range (1 Viewer)

woodhornbirder

are these being phased out?

I notice a few comming onto ebay this week....

I know celestron have just launched their regal scope which look rather good.

Thinking of experimenting by buying cheep ultima body and adding this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350218349016

also wondering if the lens will fit in this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seben-18-54x80-High-End-ED-Nitrogen-Spotting-Scope-New_W0QQitemZ380137254811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_Binoculars_ET?hash=item5881f22f9b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A5|294%3A50

which looks like a cheap ed scope

I have not heard anything of this nature. I did own the Ultima 65 non-ED and thought it offered alot of scope for the money. I seem to remember a thread on this forum some time in the last year where someone had mated an Ultima 65 body with a Baader zoom producing very favorable results.

I have read that the Ultimas ,being decent optics,had enormous sample variation,Due to QC issues..Coma and pinched optics seemed quite common,one review mention three out of three,being compromised optically by one or other problem...
The REGAL scope specifications mention FLUORITE!!!! in the doublet objective...If this is really FLUORITE,it would be a break out in the use of this material,because i found the 65mm at 409$!!!!!! including the eyepiece....
I am curious about the Regal,...1 1/4 astronomy mount (like the Pentax) is an interesting mount.I need to call Celestron about the Fluorite Objective!
If QC is really there,and these Scopes are up to specifications,,The 65mm at 409$ can be an incredible deal...I am very curious

Manuel,

If memory serves me correctly the Bushnell FLP ED utilized and FL objective and it was priced right at $400...both 65 and 80 mm models.

Also, the Promaster Infinity Elite 65 utilized ED glass and I found a few on Ebay for $400.

Also consider Orion came out with an ED/FL scope recently as well. $439 I believe.

Well..the description of the Regal,in the Celestron site,says that the Scope "uses an air spaced doublet,one of elements being made out of the mineral Fluorite"...
I am sure they use an ED element.maybe made out of FL glass..I am not sure about FL glass..Is it ED glass ,with Fluorite particles on it?...I think so..
If the Element in the Regals was made "OUT of the Mineral Fluorite "..It would be one of the few ,with the 883 and 884 Kowas and some Optolyth models, using Pure Fluorite in its design....It sounds Good,and it is Marketable,,But i dont think all those FL,ED inexpensive scopes use Fluorite..
I am interested in the Celestron,because Is a Nice option to use 1 1/4 eyepieces..If only the Hyperion Zoom would come to focus!!!!!

"I am interested in the Celestron,because Is a Nice option to use 1 1/4 eyepieces..If only the Hyperion Zoom would come to focus!!!!!"

i thought of using that zoom in a celestron regal body, are you saying u have tried it and not got good results??

With its 1.25" barrel removed the Baader zoom will screw directly on Synta made scopes like the Celestrom Ultimas. It should work if the Regal has the same thread as the Ultima. I have my doubts about a genuine Fluorite element in the Regal, no matter what Celestron says. It doesn't make much sense in a scope at that price, especially with optically equivalent glass available now at lower cost, but that claim can be easily tested with a green laser.

The Celestron Regal F-ED series will accommodate any 1.25" eyepiece, utilizing a screw-down compression fit mechanism.
The manual is available for download at the Celestron website.

Like several others here, I have had my eye on the Regal FL for awhile now, shortly after they were introduced, due the combo of 1 1/4 astro ocular acceptance, and specifically also for the "flourite mineral" used in the objective.

interestingly, one of the local members of our astronomy club picked up the 80mm version of the Regal, and has been very pleased w/ the second copy he recieved.
The first scope would not reach focus w/ the included zoom so he returned that unit for a replacement.

During our last club meeting he brought the Regal out, viewing mainly the moon. Unfortunately I was unable to make the star party, as I had planned. We had made arrangements to meet up late afternoon and A/B the scope against what I had (Nikon 82ED/WO 80mm Flourostar), but I had to bail at the last minute. Rats.

Anyway, according to an E-mail he sent me after the event, he remarked the scope "was very sharp", and had "virtually no color, just the barest hint of yellow around the moon". Not being a birder, he did not comment on any other feature of the image. The only EP he used, as I understand it, was the included zoom. He does have a 16mm Nagler which should give a better idea of what the spotter can really do.

I am off on a birding vacation tomorrow, and wont be able to get back w/ him before the end of the month. I am going to try and arrange a test during the daytime if nothing else sometime then.

Kind regards to all,
UTC

The Celestron Regal F-ED series will accommodate any 1.25" eyepiece, utilizing a screw-down compression fit mechanism.
The manual is available for download at the Celestron website.

Every 1.25" eyepieces can be inserted into the scope, but some of them probably won't reach focus. The Synta thread attachment (if present on the Regal) would surround the the 1.25" sleeve and would allow the Baader zoom to fit closer to the scope, improving the chances that it would reach focus.

Manuel,

I see the differentiation you were making. My apologies.

rmel66,

Thank you for the link. I will check it out.

FWIW I put an order in for a Regal 65 F. If they are available for shipping then I should have one shortly. I am going to compare it directly with the Pentax 65 and the Promaster 65 and comment further.

Hi Frank,

sounds like your review of the scope over on optics talked posted w/ a date of 7/21... Now I'm REALLY interested!

Have a whole stable full of fixed-power Hyperion and Stratus e/p's, and am itching to try 'em on the Celestron! Also gratifying was your assessment of the zoom; curious though about the Hype zoom. Wonder if the new Orion zoom would show the same field cut-off?

I also have the Pentax 65Ed, and while more than capable of throwing up a fine image, contrast, at least in my unit, leaves something to be desired, esp. when viewing brightly lit scenes- for me, not so much in shade or dappled sunlight. My Pentax suffers greatly in this area compared to the little Nikon 50.

The Celestron did look a bit on the bulky side, maybe a bit heavier than others, but with am image like you describe I could live w/ it.

Let us know what you think of the 80,

kind regards to all,
UTC

UTC,

I posted some follow up comments on the 80 mm version over in the 65 mm thread.

Even more impressive optically than the 65 because of the increased brightness, stability and apparent sharpness. Two very high performing scopes here for a fraction of the price of what this type of optical performance usually sells for.

Also, I have a Hyperion 21 mm waiting down at the PO. I will pick it up tomorrow and comment further.

Hi Frank,

caught up w/ your other thread on the 80mm. i am now more interested in the 80; at just a bit more than the 65, it sounds like a giant-killer, and i cant wait to get one up on the ol' windowpod for the upcoming winter-raptor season! and of course at the local hawk watch tower!

i have 13 and 21 mm hypes, and a 17 stratus. am very interested in how your 21mm hype performs in this scope. for something a bit more compact, i picked up an orion 16mm edge on; very flat, well corrected 60-degree AFV that is much more compact than the Hypes. It mates very well w/ the little AstroTech 66mm 'fractor that sometimes does double duty as a birding scope.

keep up posted,

regards,
UTC

UTC,

Now you have me intersted. The little Edge On flat-field eyepieces are something I was considering. Your comments, especially in comparison to the Hyperions, have me curious. I have the 21 mm Hyperion and find it quite good overall but the more compact design of the Orion would be welcome...assuming I don't compromise optical performance.

I posted further comments about the Hyperion's performance in these scopes over in the Regal thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back