• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Charente, strange finch/bunting, 31/06/2023 (1 Viewer)

Bewick

Connoisseur of WTL
United Kingdom
I’m between a serin and a cirl bunting on these images. Appreciate any other opinions. I did not get a good look at the bird on the field and only got these bad images. Head pattern looks vaguely good for a serin but its overall plumage tone seems better for a cirl bunting.

Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• _MG_7518.jpeg
    _MG_7518.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_7517.jpeg
    _MG_7517.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 62
  • _MG_7516.jpeg
    _MG_7516.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_7515.jpeg
    _MG_7515.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_7512.jpeg
    _MG_7512.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 63
  • _MG_7511.jpeg
    _MG_7511.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 61
Hello,

difficult for me too. But its a Serin imo:
  • head pattern is good for a Serin for me too, including very narrow supercilium and just guessable yellow forehead
  • I am not so sure about colour tones: yellow seems good for Serin, and yes, within variation for a Cirl Bunting. But many are warmer, creamer or more buffish-orangey than your bird
  • taken all pictures together, bill seems stubby
  • yes, "tramline" pattern on the back with much grey between dark tramlines seems much better for Bunting than for a Serin for me too. (So I skip this. Advisable?)
  • I have seen Serins with similar pale grey backs without any colour tinge (at least in the field) before, but I havent found a picture online during a quick search
  • my impression is, that the parallel, narrow and whitish wingbars are better for a Serin
  • the appearant full and broad tail is an artefact imo, just bad placed vegetation???

Conclusion? After looking at your pictures, its still a hard one for me (can I blame picture quality??? I hope so), but like you, your bird seems to have a convincing Serin head (and a stubby bill?), so I think its a Serin as said.

I assume, that you havent more pictures?

Hello,

difficult for me too. But its a Serin imo:
  • head pattern is good for a Serin for me too, including very narrow supercilium and just guessable yellow forehead
  • I am not so sure about colour tones: yellow seems good for Serin, and yes, within variation for a Cirl Bunting. But many are warmer, creamer or more buffish-orangey than your bird
  • taken all pictures together, bill seems stubby
  • yes, "tramline" pattern on the back with much grey between dark tramlines seems much better for Bunting than for a Serin for me too. (So I skip this. Advisable?)
  • I have seen Serins with similar pale grey backs without any colour tinge (at least in the field) before, but I havent found a picture online during a quick search
  • my impression is, that the parallel, narrow and whitish wingbars are better for a Serin
  • the appearant full and broad tail is an artefact imo, just bad placed vegetation???

Conclusion? After looking at your pictures, its still a hard one for me (can I blame picture quality??? I hope so), but like you, your bird seems to have a convincing Serin head (and a stubby bill?), so I think its a Serin as said.

I assume, that you havent more pictures?
Sadly not, however I would have a pair of serin visiting the garden only a few days later. I agree though, I think it's more likely a Serin.

Here's a Serin that was pictured yesterday in the garden, appears to be extremely similar to the one photographed a few days before- possibly the same individual.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 20.12.36.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 20.12.36.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 20.13.09.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 20.13.09.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back