• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheaper bird food (2 Viewers)

userman11

United States
I am located in South Eastern PA, and currently I am buying my bird seed from Wild Birds Unlimited. They seem to be quite expensive, but from what I understand, they don't have fillers, compared to a $5 bag of bird seed. I am a member, and I paid $25 for a 5 lb bag. Is this the going rate, or are there cheaper alternatives?

Hi Userman and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I can't really offer you much from this side of the pond, except general advice.

You are right, some cheaper bird food does contain filler foods and you will see this left. Good quality feeds only contain food which the birds eat and any which gets spilt won't take root and spread in the garden. With that information you could shop around and see who sells quality at a reasonable price (that is one you feel you can afford). You may find you need to go to different companies for the best deals in ground and table mixes with another for feeder mixes.

You should also ensure, if buying peanuts that they are free from aflotoxin (think that's the right spelling LOL).

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hello.
Wild Birds is very expensive. i would try Costco, Sams Club, or even Walmart. And see which mixture works best for you in your area wrt waste. Ideally, it would be best if you could find a nearby feed store. Here we have one that specializes in bird seed and they produce excellent mixtures.

With all the greedinflation of late I have found prices have more than doubled for wildbird seed. The least expensive approach I have found is buying Nyjer in 50# bags, sunflower kernels in 35# bags and sunflower seed seeds in 40# bags from Tractor Supply. I buy a dove and quail mix in 40 lb sacks. I pay on average $2 per pound or less with this approach and store the bulk seed in 5 gallon dog food containers in my garage. I move the seed into 15 quart containers that I keep in the laundry room and use the seed in these to refill my feeders.

The "dog food" containers have screw in lids with silicon gaskets (replaceable) so no insects get inside or any moisture so the seed keeps for months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back