• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Checking Collimation (1 Viewer)

@Rg548 - You're welcome to try my binoculars if you happen to be passing by Central London and have the time - although on the one hand ignorance is bliss, it would be useful (I suppose) to know if any are out!

I, personally, haven't noticed any of my purchases being out, even though the blurb for one specifically mentioned being out of alignment. But the ones I sent in for other issues would have been checked for collimation (I assume so anyway...?) and corrected. One that I sent in was definitely out, according to Richard B - some way out at that - but I didn't really notice anything amiss. I vaguely recall Richard telling me that a barrel out of collimation in one plane (horizontal?) may be easier for the brain to accommodate for than vertical?

I haven't had any of my binoculars go out of collimation (that I could perceive anyway) except one that I dropped. But then I don't subject my binoculars to really heavy use either.

I'd say 90% plus of the "attention devoted to collimation on this forum" is attributable to one individual.
I genuinely think some folk are more susceptible than others.
My mate, was convinced my FL's were spot on, agreeing with the sellers.... but they were indeed out having gone for checking at East Coast.
Richard, mentioned above, also sorted my Meostars, with the same explanation of one plane easier to spot than the other.
He said my Meostars were very fractionally out..... but my mate and the shop I bought them said they were spot on.
Richard made them 'spot on' after a little tinkling.
If you can't notice eyestrain/pulling sensation, then just enjoy your binos.(y)

What kind of spot, and on what? :unsure:

Okay, "spot on" is the absence of an eyestrain/pulling sensation. So, it's not something that is, but something that isn't.

I like it. :giggle:

Ed

Last edited:
Tinkering is just getting the binocular nearer to proper collimation.

There are errors commonly used to define good collimation.

Soviet standards are nominally tighter than Western standards.
That is not to say in practice they are nearer correct collimation.

Obviously horizontal errors are looser than vertical, as we swivel our eyes for reading or closer work, but we don't move our eyes vertically.

Just to give a sample of the numerous binoculars with which I have had collimation or alignment bad enough to banish the binocular from use.

A newly bought secondhand good quality Nikon 7x50 claimed by a non expert to be perfect.
A Nikon 7x35, which can be used briefly, but is obviously out.

A 10x40 Optolyth out enough to be a non user.

My specially made Soviet 20x60 that got out of collimation after 15 years daily use.

A 10x50 Minolta out after ten years daily use.
I just bought another one.

Many Japanese micro binoculars out or ridiculously aligned by repairers, so that they more or less work, but the circles are way out.

The two Leica 8x32 BAs have been excellent as is the Ultravid 12x50.
I think the Canon IS are all good.

The 25-135x80 Japanese binocular is aligned at all magnifications but runs out of steam at 80x.

Binoculars in charity shops were often out of alignment, so not bought.

About 15% of my binoculars are out of alignment and banished.
I don't fret about them. That is how they are. They could be serviced, but why bother.
Some cost very little secondhand.

In addition, I have had lenses and telescopes out of collimation.
The telescopes I can fix myself.

Regards,
B.

I can easily believe that people vary in sensitivity to miscollimation since that seems true of most everything else, so presumably manufacturers have some standard they consider good enough for the vast majority of users. But I do suspect that high quality explains most of my "good luck" in this regard, along with taking generally good care of optics, especially the Porros of my youth, and seldom buying pre-owned. I've never had or seen haze/moisture/fungus either... the only problems tend to involve the diopter mechanism, or once when a small fleck of something got on an internal lens surface.

Not only has the exact procedure been described in both BINOCULARS: Fallacy & Fact (38 pages on collimation) and Understanding & Attaining 3-Axis Collimation (69 pages on Collimation) The whole book deals exclusively with the subject. Not only that, I have been posting the EXACT step-by-step procedure on Birdforum, Cloudy Nights, and others LONG before the first book was published.
Your book suggested using a Fresnel lens, which turned out not to work. It also says a lens made from inexpensive glass will work (since color correction is irrelevent), but I have been unable to find an 8" or larger example. You also mention that a telescope will work, but I presume that the lens diameter must be a bit larger than the distance between the outer edges of the binocular objectives, so both lenses see the target. I guess that implies 8" minimum for 7x50 size porros? Such telescopes are very expensive. So I can't build a Mark V collimator yet.

Exactly what sort of work would need to be done to a telescope, instructions aimed at a non-telescope builder? Inserting the reticle target into the tube. Perhaps one could purchase a crosshair or reticle disc that would fit into or just ahead or behind the eyepiece? I suppose a flashlight behind the eyepiece would suffice for illumination? Could the modifications be of a temporary nature so a borrowed telescope could be returned to its normal condition?
TIA

My IPD is only 53mm, so I presume that I will not get accurate results from methods like defocusing a star, or moving back from the ocular when looking at a pinpoint, due to lack of Spacial Accomodation? Most full size binoculars only go down to an actual 55-54mm.

I like wide field binoculars because the larger eye lens is more forgiving.

At close distance, I focus my left eye halfway to the right of center, and the right eye diopter halfway to the left of center. Because with both eyes open, the least eyestrain is to converge towards the center; the image I want to see is towards the hinge in both eyes.

Last edited:
strabismus...

"Around 80% of people suffer from latent (hidden) strabismus. This usually goes unnoticed and does not cause any symptoms. In some cases, latent squinting can cause headaches, double vision or blurred vision."

Andreas
What exactly does strabismus do that hinders... whatever sort of collimation tests were being talked about? Inability to focus on a pinpoint without eyestrain... makes you perceive two points even when the optics are perfect?

Your book suggested using a Fresnel lens, which turned out not to work. It also says a lens made from inexpensive glass will work (since color correction is irrelevent), but I have been unable to find an 8" or larger example. You also mention that a telescope will work, but I presume that the lens diameter must be a bit larger than the distance between the outer edges of the binocular objectives, so both lenses see the target. I guess that implies 8" minimum for 7x50 size porros? Such telescopes are very expensive. So I can't build a Mark V collimator yet.

Exactly what sort of work would need to be done to a telescope, instructions aimed at a non-telescope builder? Inserting the reticle target into the tube. Perhaps one could purchase a crosshair or reticle disc that would fit into or just ahead or behind the eyepiece? I suppose a flashlight behind the eyepiece would suffice for illumination? Could the modifications be of a temporary nature so a borrowed telescope could be returned to its normal condition?
TIA
“Your book suggested using a Fresnel lens, which turned out not to work.”

“Yep, even I who disparages so many “experts.” No doubt ... there are many clueless EXPERTS! Normally, I am clever enough to see through the majority of these. This time, I stumbled. Actually, I don’t see how a Fresnel lens WON’T work. In most of these situations, I make one of whatever is in question. This time, I didn’t; sorry ‘bout that! Also, there is much more going on in my old life that seems ready to keep me from getting wrapped around the axle. Yes, for the purist, chromatic aberration would be a problem. Birdforum is full of posts from people who want to spend money UPGRADING when, most of the time, they—here in the REAL world—cannot realize the difference. They maybe more enamored in the different field of view, the weight, the looks, the feel, or any number of OTHER things that make them choose another.

For example the inexperienced talk of:

clear, crystal clear, soft, blurry, mushy, tact sharp, brilliant, spot on, high contrast, contrasty, and on and on. These are terms used by the optically untutored but they mean absolutely NOTHING in the real of optical engineering in which terms must be quantified as opposed to the massively SUBJECTIVE terms presented above.

“It also says a lens made from inexpensive glass will work (since color correction is irrelevant), but I have been unable to find an 8" or larger example.”

In the large lens category: If you look around at some surplus optical warehouses, you can probably find what you are looking for. MY recommendation would be to start with Surplus Shed of Fleetwood, PA. Their offerings come and go; be patient ... if you MUST have a lens. They have been providing used optical gear for years. Also, some people use large aerial surplus camera lenses. Years ago, Edmund Scientific would be a great source. They got their start be purchasing tons of optical gear used in World War II. Alas, ES changed their business model years ago.

“You also mention that a telescope will work, but I presume that the lens diameter must be a bit larger than the distance between the outer edges of the binocular objectives, so both lenses see the target. I guess that implies 8" minimum for 7x50 size porros? Such telescopes are very expensive. So I can't build a Mark V collimator yet.”

Part of what you say is right on; another part is a bit misguided:

“Such telescopes are very expensive.”

That could be true if you have to have a new LENS. In specifying telescope. I said nothing about a lens. A Newtonian telescope will work fine and those grow on trees.

Even a catadioptric would be fine ... and convenient. The aperture would need to be big enough to cover MOST of the spread of the objective lenses of the binoculars.

The first attachment (1) is me and my Mk5. As you can see, the aperture is broad enough to handle the bino quite well. But, I have used it on much larger binoculars. A perfect fit is unnecessary.

The next attachment (2)is Cory at a star party with his C-8. I don’t think he uses a reticle. But remember, the reticle is only a convenience. YOU’RE JUST TRYING TO SUPERIMPOSE TWO DOTS OF LIGHT. What could be easier than that? And considering our spatial accommodation, if the images a very close that might be all you need—without any eyestrain!

Of course, you will need a low-power auxiliary scope. I use one made by Cory. One attachment (3) shows the original in the foreground and one of Cory’s right behind it. Attachment (6) shows am auxiliary scope made by Australian optician, telescope maker and friend Roger Davis. People with no more skill than you can make them. I think Archimedes could have made one ... in his sleep. Attachment (7) illustrates how they work.

Also attached is the heavy test stand (4) —made of cast iron and brass. If you don’t happen to have one of those in your hip pocket, you can find any number of alternatives at your local camera store.

“Exactly what sort of work would need to be done to a telescope, instructions aimed at a non-telescope builder? Inserting the reticle target into the tube. Perhaps one could purchase a crosshair or reticle disc that would fit into or just ahead or behind the eyepiece? I suppose a flashlight behind the eyepiece would suffice for illumination. Could the modifications be of a temporary nature so a borrowed telescope could be returned to its normal condition?”

I would suggest something a little more sophisticated than a flashlight—my Mk5 will be up for sale later this year. But suit yourself. If you had an eyepiece with a reticle—or even a piece of cardboard with a pinhole, you could borrow the scope, insert your own EP (with reticle or pinhole, and return the scope when finished. I can tell by some of the things you have said that you have the smarts and the desire to make a working setup, but ... (5). If there is one thing I’ve learned from all this collimation talk, it’s that too many people are doing themselves a great disservice by thinking themselves to death!!! They think they must have perfection in collimation. I have collimated something over 12,000 binoculars, but I have NEVER collimated one to perfection. It can’t be done. Temperature and humidity won’t allow it ... except in the minds of those who have much more by way of opinion than fact. Please read attachment 5 again.

“If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.”— Albert Einstein

Kevin Busarow has been an acquaintance and friend for many years. But while he is a caring salesman and optical hero to many, I use the following to say that all that glitters is not gold. The following is a snippet from a previous letter.

Kevin Busarow and Oberwerk

There is a little more to 3-Axis collimation than having a jeweler's screwdriver. You have drawn information from Oberwerk. Well, let me tell you a story about Oberwerk.

A Story: OM1 Cory Suddarth (S.O.R, Suddarth Optical Repair) worked with me aboard USS Grand Canyon and for me (OMC Cook) for about 7 years at Captain's in Seattle. Knowing Kevin Busarow (owner of Oberwerk), we TRIED to get him to understand the difference between binocular collimation (opto-mechanical) and Conditional Alignment (physiological, based on the observer's level of spatial accommodation). When Kevin saw me ON CLOUDY NIGHTS trying to raise the bar of understanding, he apparently thought I was somehow trying to hurt his business and produced 2 videotapes for sale showing how conditional alignment was a "myth," stating that he could, "collimate a binocular to 100-power by eyeballing it."

Kevin backed off a little when professors at the College of Optical Sciences at the University of Arizona and leaders of SPIE invited me to lecture on the subject at their 2012 San Diego convention.

But then, with Cory doing much of his repair and collimation work, he went to one of his Collimation with a Mk 5 Collimator seminars and learned what we had been trying to tell him for over 15 years. After that, he purchased a Mk 5 collimator that I had sold to a company in southern California. Now he knows, "Conditional Alignment" isn't a myth and is taking full advantage of the collimator that he swore he "didn't need."

PS All of the attachments had a number on them. Apparently though, the computer geeks who rule the world thought (4) and (5) would be enough for you!

"If you took all the would-be computer geeks in the world and laid them end to end it would be a good thing ... at least if they were deep enough!" — BC

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 11.39.18 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 11.39.18 AM copy.png
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 3.36.34 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 3.36.34 PM copy.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 1.19.25 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 1.19.25 PM copy.png
    671.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 12.23.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 12.23.35 PM.png
    986.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 12.35.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 12.35.29 PM.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 1.44.23 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 1.44.23 PM copy.png
    643.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 10.03.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 10.03.54 AM.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Yesterday, I had to get out of the house quickly for a 400+ mile roadtrip. So, post 51 was completed in haste. Please revisit it. It has now been edited and 2 more attachments have been added.

Bill

Hi

Did you try it? Show us the results!

Maybe you can use a far away target looking outside the window as a substitute for a complicated device?

cheers
zp*
With an auxiliary scope in hand and a sturdy test fixture in hand, you are correct. Where you are wrong is in calling a Mk5 collimator "a complicated device." A lens and reticle hardly make for a complicated device.

I can tell by some of the things you have said that you have the smarts and the desire to make a working setup, but ... (5). If there is one thing I’ve learned from all this collimation talk, it’s that too many people are doing themselves a great disservice by thinking themselves to death!!!
I would hire a machinist to make a collimator for me, but none of the setups on the net have sufficiently accurate information (ie measurements on a diagram or blueprint) for the machinist to follow. And SurplusShed doesn't have big lenses, I've looked. Unless I don't know how to search their site properly. IIRC from your books, need a f3-4, 6" or larger diameter, crown glass lens ??? And I can't locate a Penta prism large enough for the collimation scope - how long must it be? The machine might be simple but sourcing the key parts seems impossible - at least for my ability to search for optical things.

For an eccentric objective collimation, is the eccentric supposed to slide around the lens and the lens remain still, or is the eccentric supposed to grip the lens and go around as a unit?

I'm working on a Swift Hunter 8x30 with a plastic eccentric, and if the retaining ring is loose enough to spin the eccentric, the whole lens assembly falls downwards due to gravity. I thought I had it, but when I took away the tool I was using to rotate the eccentric, it went bad again - I had been pushing the lens assembly sideways as I rotated & looked thru the eyepiece. Also the eccentric is pushing the lens around with it, but randomly moving & sticking. So if I I rotated by some distance, when I go backwards the same distance, I'm not were I started. So I can't "dial in" the position even if I can ever get it close.

I tried sitting on the floor with the tripod low, so the bins were angled up to the target, but the lens assembly doesn't reliably stay centered, and its not comfortable. Plus it still moves sideways when I push the eccentric with the tool.

The Wray 36 inch f/4 lens has a front component 9.5 inches in diameter.

I think it is Crown glass and optical workers have used it as a basis for grinding other lenses.

I don't know if it would work for a collimator.

The Dallmeyer and Wray 36 inch f/6.3 lenses have 6 inch diameter front elements.
Don't destroy a Wray series 3 36 inch f/6.3. It is the earlier lenses that can be used.

The Ross 50 inch f/8 about 7 inches, but it would be a shame to destroy such a good lens.
Similarly Ross 60 inch f/8. About 8 inch front diameter.

Baker 40 inch f/5. Again not one to destroy.

TTH 48 inch f/8 larger than 6 inches but again not one to destroy.

Zeiss 120cm f/7 very large but definitely not to be destroyed.

Kodak 48 inch f/6.3 about 8 inch diameter front element. The elements further back contain thorium glass.

But I think Newtonians were mentioned and 8 inch Newtonians are cheap, especially secondhand good condition.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
For an eccentric objective collimation, is the eccentric supposed to slide around the lens and the lens remain still, or is the eccentric supposed to grip the lens and go around as a unit?

I'm working on a Swift Hunter 8x30 with a plastic eccentric, and if the retaining ring is loose enough to spin the eccentric, the whole lens assembly falls downwards due to gravity. I thought I had it, but when I took away the tool I was using to rotate the eccentric, it went bad again - I had been pushing the lens assembly sideways as I rotated & looked thru the eyepiece. Also the eccentric is pushing the lens around with it, but randomly moving & sticking. So if I I rotated by some distance, when I go backwards the same distance, I'm not were I started. So I can't "dial in" the position even if I can ever get it close.

I tried sitting on the floor with the tripod low, so the bins were angled up to the target, but the lens assembly doesn't reliably stay centered, and its not comfortable. Plus it still moves sideways when I push the eccentric with the tool.

Hi Charlie:

I still think you are thinking this very simple device and procedure to death.

In 50+ years in the business, I have never seen a “plastic” eccentric system. You are probably looking at a retainer. I’ve seen plenty of plastic retainers.

The first photo attached is the eccentric system from one of the better 7x50 marine binoculars. And the second—a drawing—shows how they work.

I just got out of the hospital and I am WAY behind getting things done that I need to do before “buying the farm.” Thus. I will sell you mine.

It seems plain that you don’t like the Newtonian idea. The third, fourth, and fifth photo is of my Mk5. The 6th one is of 2 auxiliary scopes the one in the foreground is the US Navy Mk1 scope. It cost the Navy over $3,000 in 1942. In the background is one that Cory Suddarth made. It's worth more but cost a fraction as much.

I sold two of my Mk5s for $3,000 each—circa 20 years ago—without the original test stand or auxiliary scope. I want $4,000 today for my Mk5 setup—with the original Navy test stand and the new auxiliary scope; it’s one of the collimators I used at Captain’s before I bought the Fujinon unit. If you are planning on going into the repair and collimation business, the purchase would be a good INVESTMENT especially considering 2 things:

1. Some people on this forum think nothing of dropping $3,000 for a new binocular, and ...

2. It is ready to work the day you take it home; putting to rest all the wasted time, speculation, and worry.

The only downside I see to the matter is that I am quite busy and will not be available to hand-holding. I will be glad to send any number of articles and book excerpts I have written on collimation. But that is about it. Please consider, ALL you need to know about collimation and collimators is in both of my books. This includes the EXACT instructions for using the Mk5.

Cheers,

Bill

Attachments

• DSCF5514 copy.JPG
    DSCF5514 copy.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Eccentric Rings X copy.jpg
    Eccentric Rings X copy.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 11.23.01 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 11.23.01 AM copy.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 11.39.18 AM copy 2.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 11.39.18 AM copy 2.png
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 12.14.01 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 12.14.01 PM copy.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 1.19.25 PM copy 2.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 1.19.25 PM copy 2.png
    671.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi

most often the inner lens is attached to the inner excentric, i.e. the lens will rotate with the inner ring. The outer eccentric ring shall rotate freely around the inner ring and inside the objective tube.

if the eccentrics are loose, sticking, oval, pitted, dirty etc, you'll struggle with the adjustment. Sometimes you can improve things with a good disassembly/clean but sometimes it's no use. Removing the retainer will help some if the eccentrics are hard to turn, but if the parts are sloppily machined the lens has a tendency to fall out of the objective. Tubular wrenches make the job easier but you'll need to machine your own.

Cheers,
zp*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back