• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chicago to Whitefish point & back (1 Viewer)

code3collector

We are leaving on a trip in 2 weeks. We will be driving up the coast of lake michigan, passing through south haven, traverse city, mackinaw city, and finally to Whitefish point.

Any hotspots to look for? I understand the migration is starting around that time. Any state parks along the way best this time of year? Looking for waterfowl particularly, shorebirds, and anything else unique. We understand they are currently banding owls in Whitefish point, as of a week ago. They said August should be very active.

There are a number of bird sanctuaries/waterfowl refuges within an hour or two of Whitefish and or Mackinaw. Only spending a few days in each spot. Round island point nature preserve was mentioned as a good spot? Pretty much anywhere along the mainland where there are lighthouses is the path we will be following. We won't be going to any of the preserves on any of the outer islands.

Any suggestions or comments of what to look out for would be greatly appreciated.:cat:

Lake Michigan to WPBO

sounds like a good trip. You will be traveling past loads of good areas. I would recommend getting a hold of " A Birder's Guide to Michigan" from ABA sales or the Michigan Audubon Society bookstore (see their websites) It lists practically all the great spots on your route.

Since you are in shorebird season and the first passerines are starting south I'd recommend these sites (again check the book for maps and details on locations):

1. New Buffalo pier
2. St. Joseph/Benton Harbor beach (Tiscornia)
3. Muskegon Waste Water Facility
4. Ludington Waste Treatement Facility
5. Nordehouse Dunes between Manistee and Ludington.
6. First St. Beach in Manistee
7. Arcadia Marsh on M-22 between Manistee and Frankfort
8. Betsie Bay between Elberta and Frankfort
9. Platte River outlet in Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore
10. Ptobego Marsh north of Traverse City
11. Wilderness State Park between Petoskey and Mackinaw City
12. Pt. La Barbe on the north side of the straits of Mackinaw just across the
Mackinaw Bridge.
13. Hulbert Bog in the central UP
14. Taq River mouth on the way to WPBO

Good luck, take some time to go swimming the lakes are warm and great this time of year.

Book arrived yesterday. I am also getting the garmin topo maps for my handheld and car gps that have a lot of the "off the road/beaten path" birding areas. Hopefully, the weather will hold out. Presently, the weather channel has it raining almost every day next week, from traverse city all the way to paradise. Hopefully, the forecasters have it wrong.

rain on the way

Hey, rain is almost always good for seeing migrants and grounding the shorebirds. Good luck, if you get by this way contact me and I can give you any updates ([email protected])

BA

We did not visit anything but the lighthouse piers, beach areas, drove by and looked at a few off the road places nothing. Whitefish point - NOTHING. National forests...nothing. However...our luck paid off...one night at whitefish point we got to assist in the capture and release of a juvenile saw-whet allow. One of our life birds. Then we went to the bird sanctuary just south west of paradise and we saw some rare swans up close, as well as a mating pair of loons. Again, birds we had never seen. All and all a decent trip. It was also windy as hell when we were there, and WFP indicated they had seen nothing prior to our arrival. Nothing in Mackinaw City or Island area that was special. Nothing at all in Traverse City area. Did not get the chance to go to sleeping bear dunes, but went to the dunes in Mears - nada. We will try again in the spring during early migration season for our next major bird trip...Possibly the everglades, or a few other national sanctuaries down there we had success with. May also try Necedah WLP in a few weeks when migration is more in swing. We had NO internet access while roaming with our 3g phones, as we have tmobile, and we were in a att area. Not at all happy with that.

sorry you didn't get a big push in migration, fall can be dull! Have had some shorebirds of late in the area, Red-necked Phalarope at Pentwater, Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Ludington.

September is better at WPBO and along Lake Michigan.

BA

I had a great time birding in nw Michigan this summer, although I only got a few year birds. Also, Verizon is what works for me up there. No piping plovers though! I didn't do too much shore birding though, and that was after breeding season because of my europe trip. Anyway, I look forward to going back in the winter!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back