• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China Birds (Nick Sismey) 2012 List (UK, Hong Kong & ?) (1 Viewer)

31 March 2012

Back in Hong Kong I had a couple of hours at Long Valley (Photo1) near Sheung Shui today where birds like the Chinese Pond Heron (Photo 2) were already showing off their summer plumage. A Siberian Stonechat perched on a bamboo cane and several Yellow Wagtails feeding on the small bare allotment size fields were the first year birds to be ticked, the latter being the 200th bird of the year.

199.Siberian Stonechat-------------Long Valley------------------Hong Kong
200.Yellow Wagtail-----------------Long Valley-------------------Hong Kong

Atop another bamboo pole was a Chestnut Eared Bunting (Photo 3) while tiny Zitting Cisticolas were rising and falling from the long grass with Richard’s Pipits feeding in the dried up fish ponds.

201.Chestnut Eared Bunting---------Long Valley------------------Hong Kong
202.Zitting Cisticola----------------Long Valley-------------------Hong Kong
203.Richard’s Pipit------------------Long Valley------------------Hong Kong

The two hours were soon up and before I knew it I was on my way back to Hong Kong Island….

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 75
13 April 2012

With April being the wettest on record in the UK it was no surprise when the lane at Willington (Photo1) was well muddy. Steve and I arrived around 9am picking up the first year bird after 10 minutes, a Willow Warbler high up in a willow….

204.Willow Warbler-----------------Willington-----------------------England

By the time we had arrived at the final platform at the end of the track the weather had broken (Photo 2) and it was reasonably warm. Amongst the Sand Martin flocks Steve picked out a single House Martin.

205.Sand Martin--------------------Willington----------------------England
206.House Martin-------------------Willington----------------------England

Suddenly there was an explosion of sound behind us. We all turned to see a very obliging Cetti’s Warbler looking back at us from the nearest bush, now we didn’t expect that!

207.Cetti’s Warbler------------------Willington---------------------England

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 75
26 April 2012

While driving back from a trip to North Wales a Swift flew overhead above the M6

208.Swift --------------------------M6-----------------------------England

Users who are viewing this thread

Back