• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Cisticolas", Kenya (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Now I am getting on a bit of thin ice - aware that I may be making a fool of myself, I separated some more, but also less obvious "cisticolas". Yes, I know audio is better, but it's relatively hard to get while on a car safari, especially when you car refuses to shut up ...

1 - Lake Naivasha
2,3 - Masai Mara
4 - between Samburu and Meru
5 - Mwea (between Mt. Kenya and Tsavo)

Attachments

• 1-01-004-aMG_1155.JPG
    1-01-004-aMG_1155.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-03-020-aMG_2645.JPG
    2-03-020-aMG_2645.JPG
    602.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 3-07-038-aMG_4425.JPG
    3-07-038-aMG_4425.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 4-10-150-bMG_7621.JPG
    4-10-150-bMG_7621.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 5-11-155-bMG_8752.JPG
    5-11-155-bMG_8752.JPG
    523.5 KB · Views: 21
Hi Jan:

No-one else answered, so I'll give it a shot. I hope then someone will come along with a second opinion.

I think 1 and 5 are straightforward Winding Cisticola.

If I had taken the photos, I would have put 2 down as just Rattling, but without other views I am not sure.

I think 4 might be Croaking - I've never seen this, but from 'the books' this looks like the only possibility.

I think 3 is Zitting Cisticola. I've only seen this once in Africa, but they are common near my house in Japan. There seem to be some ssp differences, but the attached photo I took looks just like your bird 3 to me.

PS: Apologies for mis-spelling your online name in other threads!

190704051 Nara Ponds.jpg

Thanks!

There are some more photos of 2 - Cisticolas (Genus Cisticola) - but not very different angles ...

Good looking IDs! Apart from Zitting these are all species we already claim from the trip, so we could have guessed them, but it's just ... tricky. Zitting is a familiar bird for us Europeans, but I find it difficult to say for sure from this angle ...

There are some more photos of 2 - Cisticolas (Genus Cisticola) - but not very different angles ...

Good looking IDs! Apart from Zitting these are all species we already claim from the trip, so we could have guessed them, but it's just ... tricky. Zitting is a familiar bird for us Europeans, but I find it difficult to say for sure from this angle ...
I looked at your other photos on Flickr, and it looks fine for Rattling to me.

As for the Zitting, if you're not sure, what else do you think it could be?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back