• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clay-colored Thrush? Cauca Valley, Colombia (1 Viewer)

TomFriedel

Colombia
This photo from San Jerónimo, Cauca Valley, Antioquioa, Colombia came out nice so I certainly want to get the ID right. The Clay-colored Thrush is present here, although usually in the forest. The Pale-breasted Thrush is not here by the historical Natureserve maps, but there are plenty of eBird records. This bird does not have the characteristic brown color of the Clay-colored Thrush, and has a lot of contrast between front and back, and a streakier throat than that species normally has. I am also not sure what to make of the orange eye-ring. The Pale-breasted Thrush on the other hand seems to always have a brown wing that contrasts with the head and back, and does not have a yellow bill. There is a north Colombian subspecies of the Clay-colored Thrush, and I don't have information about this subspecies, but at least one photo I found shows a brown bird. Is there any way to get subspecies information without paying money to Cornell? I unsubscribed from that service when I didn't like changes they are making to the excellent HBW content.
thanks in advance,
Tom Friedel

Attachments

• Thrush_003.jpeg
    Thrush_003.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 23
This photo from San Jerónimo, Cauca Valley, Antioquioa, Colombia came out nice so I certainly want to get the ID right. The Clay-colored Thrush is present here, although usually in the forest. The Pale-breasted Thrush is not here by the historical Natureserve maps, but there are plenty of eBird records. This bird does not have the characteristic brown color of the Clay-colored Thrush, and has a lot of contrast between front and back, and a streakier throat than that species normally has. I am also not sure what to make of the orange eye-ring. The Pale-breasted Thrush on the other hand seems to always have a brown wing that contrasts with the head and back, and does not have a yellow bill. There is a north Colombian subspecies of the Clay-colored Thrush, and I don't have information about this subspecies, but at least one photo I found shows a brown bird. Is there any way to get subspecies information without paying money to Cornell? I unsubscribed from that service when I didn't like changes they are making to the excellent HBW content.
thanks in advance,
Tom Friedel
Yes I think it's clay-coloured. There are various similar Macauley images like:

Clay-colored Thrush - Turdus grayi - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird

the images show the bill can be more or less clear yellow, and there can be more or less of an orange eye ring.

Thank you. I now have also found one more like my image on Google Images, although not as many as you found on this link. I wonder why some are less brown than others.

Also agreed with Clay-colored. There does seem to be a consistency in the pale/drabness of this species in the Cauca Valley, perhaps a response to the arid habitats?

Also agreed with Clay-colored. There does seem to be a consistency in the pale/drabness of this species in the Cauca Valley, perhaps a response to the arid habitats?
You have noticed this species is more grey in Colombia? I was thinking maybe because it was closer to the Pale-breasted Thrush or Ecuadorian Thrush, they might have some of the same genes.

You have noticed this species is more grey in Colombia? I was thinking maybe because it was closer to the Pale-breasted Thrush or Ecuadorian Thrush, they might have some of the same genes.
Just looking through pics on ebird, they by and large seem greyer/drabber than on the coast/Central America. But maybe I'm imagining it.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back