• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common or Lesser Kestrel in Fez Morocco May 17 2022 (1 Viewer)

AFM

United States
Hello everyone, I spotted this Kestrel in Fez, Morocco on May 17, 2022. I am struggling to determine whether it is a Common/Eurasian or Lesser Kestrel (though I know it was female). I've heard that size is supposed to be the best indicator, but it was too far/high up for me to judge that accurately. I have also heard that the dark edges of the remiges is supposed to be wider on the Lesser Kestrel, which suggests to me that this COULD be a Lesser Kestrel? But I'm really not sure, any thoughts? Thanks in advance! :D

Attachments

• IMG_8648.JPG
    IMG_8648.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8651.JPG
    IMG_8651.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • Common vs Lesser.jpeg
    Common vs Lesser.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8643.JPG
    IMG_8643.JPG
    659.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8644.JPG
    IMG_8644.JPG
    350.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8649.JPG
    IMG_8649.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8650.JPG
    IMG_8650.JPG
    914.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
tricky with females but long p10 (outermost primary) is long which suggests Lesser.
Oh yes, I see what you mean! That makes perfect sense to me :) I did just add some photos with the tail open, though the quality is terrible, I'm not sure if that helps at all? But thanks for your expertise!

This is from our own Opus page
Identifying perched female Lesser Kestrels can be difficult as they're very like female Common Kestrel, but they tend to have a 'cleaner' paler cheek which gives a more gentle look, the two central tail feathers often (but not always) project a little & the wings are longer too (reaching closer to the tail tip). In flight they're more slender and usually have a less densely marked underwing. Also look at the wing tip: if outermost primary (p10) and the one three in (p7) are equal length, then you are looking at Common Kestrel, if p7 is shorter, then it is Lesser Kestrel. However it's generally easiest to wait a few moments for the more distinctive male to turn up!

Niels

I've heard that size is supposed to be the best indicator
Not so. Certainly not something I've ever used, nor would use, in the field: there's a big overlap between the species, and even on extreme individuals it would be impossible to judge. One of these cases where the common name is misleading for ID purposes.
Is the grey on the head in the first and last picture an artifact?
I don't think it's any more grey in reality than (say) the ground-colour of much of the underwing is grey in reality.

Is the grey on the head in the first and last picture an artifact (maybe overexposure)?

(here's an additional article I found about the seperation of the two, which appears to mention the P10 length difference: Lesser Kestrel v Common Kestrel - Andalucia Bird Society)
The head got a bit washed out on those photos, but there was definitely a gray-blue cheek. It's hard to tell from underneath, but it might have even been a gray-blue hood (not just cheek). Considering that, and now that I'm looking at the open tail feathers, I see that the tailband is much more prominent than any of the spots on it - could this even be a male Common Kestrel? But again, P10 are definitely long, which suggests Lesser Kestrel... And the female Lesser Kestrel can still have this distinctive of a cheek, right?

Last edited:
while still I think it is a Lesser Kestrel, I wouldn't rely on this single feature, even though it is a structural one. Andrea Corso
warns to use it on females as a single determining feature.
It is a very useful feature but obviously useless
  • in moulting birds
  • When feather damaged
  • And depending on angle of view, e.g. you need overhead views and both wings showing same formula
That I think it is useful here and agree with lou: Lesser

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back