• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

confused about tripod head types for birding scope (1 Viewer)

The confusion is from having many types for use by photographers and their needs are more extensive than for someone with a scope. Fluid dampening helps when shooting video with a camera but is of little use with a spotting scope.

A tilting head that allows for panning or horizontal movement is all that is needed. For non video uses the panning does not need to be smooth but only allow for moving the scope horizontally with the tripod stationary.

I like to use heads that clamp onto a Arca-Swiss rail and buy a cheap 3 inch long rail and mount it to the bottom of the scope. This makes is fast to mount the scope on the tripod and to remove it quickly later.

From personal experience I recommend the Gitzo GHF2W, which I am sure is available down under. Alternatively one of several Berlebach 2-way models, such as the 510, 520/130 or the 553.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back