• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Copper River Delta (Cordova) good in late May? (1 Viewer)

I'm planning a trip to Alaska. Is it still worth going to Cordova in late May? I've read there's a lot of shore birds there in early May, but will they still be there by late May (May 25ish)?
I will also be going to be Homer, Anchorage, Juneau, etc. So if most of the birds are gone by then and whats left could also be seen elsewhere I am just going to skip the ferry complications to Cordova.

Thanks in advance

I forgot to add: are you an eBirder? One way to see popular locations and species typically present, is to search eBird.
Yea I have been looking at ebird:

For early May (May 1-10): there are a lot of reports (I'm guessing because of the bird festival) and many of the reports show large numbers for shore birds like least and western sandpiper.
But for late May+Early June (May 20 - June 10): there have only been 3 ebird reports for 2020-2023 in total, and none of them show the number of birds reported in early May. Hence my concern...

I'm currently leaning towards not going, unless someone else tells me otherwise...

Yea I have been looking at ebird:

For early May (May 1-10): there are a lot of reports (I'm guessing because of the bird festival) and many of the reports show large numbers for shore birds like least and western sandpiper.
But for late May+Early June (May 20 - June 10): there have only been 3 ebird reports for 2020-2023 in total, and none of them show the number of birds reported in early May. Hence my concern...

I'm currently leaning towards not going, unless someone else tells me otherwise...
There is the danger of going by quantity/frequency/density of eBird lists. Some areas are definitely seasonal. So yes, number or significance of species is my criteria.
Maybe contact bird guides or bird club etc.?
I'm also researching that area, and will post anything I learn ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back