• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rican snake (2 Viewers)

Cuckoo-shrike

A friend has sent through this photo of what he believes is a Fer-de-Lance. I'm not so sure. The real thing has a dark crown and a dark line running back from the eye, both of which this snake lacks. I don't think the head shape is right for a pit viper, plus the other markings aren't right.
Any opinions?

Attachments

• IMG-20230128-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230128-WA0002.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 27
Not a fer-de-lance I think, but I can't give you an id.

Perhaps the shape of the triangular body markings with their dark apical points is a better criterion for fer-de-lance as head shape and the dark cheek mark may be missing from young ones (see attached from CR reptile book). The pic lacks all of these

Attachments

• Polish_20230129_101341858.png
    Polish_20230129_101341858.png
    242.3 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back