• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Counties without a recording website (2 Viewers)

Andy Lakin

There are some cracking websites out there covering latest sightings but Yorkshire appears to be lacking one.There are many excellent regional websites but its nice just to be able to view all the latest sightings county wide especially if you are a visiting birdwatcher. Has Norfolk got a county wide website?

Obviously it is a great deal of work especially if it falls in the main to one person. It must be a pain trying to filter out the more unlikely and the odd totally dodgy record especially from known stringers. Also where do you draw the line with some records of very common species that are sent in.

Also people seem.to have stopped using the Yorkshire rare and scarce thread on here, same with the Norfolk one. It would be great if they were resurrected as they obviously are a great way of adding details to the records on RBA, Birdguides etc fir anyone travelling fir birds.

The Yorkshire problem is tha t there are four County recorders for N ,S, E & W and that there are various "bird clubs" that have the County divided up even further. Each of these clubs have there own, greater or lesser, web presence. Any pan-Yorkshire site would be a labour of love for someone willing to trawl these club sites.

Totally agree all the volunteers keeping the records up to date deserve a massive thank you.I know a lot of people use Twitter, WhatsApp etc nowadays but it would be a shame if any of these brilliant websites disappeared .The ones with links to tweets seem to be the way to go even if you can only read a few tweets without signing up.
The Yorkshire problem is tha t there are four County recorders for N ,S, E & W and that there are various "bird clubs" that have the County divided up even further. Each of these clubs have there own, greater or lesser, web presence. Any pan-Yorkshire site would be a labour of love for someone willing to trawl these club sites.

As a former East Yorkshire recorder, the issue is the historic set up of ornithology recording in the county with it tied to the Naturalists Union. I dont think the latest sightings is problematic - its the intransigence of the organisation and the commitment to the naturalist union which promises a hard copy report to the members and a crappy website to work with. I proposed breaking away from the YNU and setting up a Yorkshire bird club as I believe it needs a fresh start and there was broad support but nobody to lead it and I couldnt commit. Alongside poor lines of communication these were the reasons I stepped down. I am a firm believer that a new start is needed and a Yorkshire Bird Club is the way forward.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back