• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cranial osteology and palaeobiology of Jeholornis prima (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
Han Hu, Yan Wang, Matteo Fabbri, Jingmai K. O Çonnor, Paul G. Mcdonald, Stephen Wroe, Xuwei Yin, Ziaoting Zheng, Zhonghe Zhou, Roger B. J. Benson, 2022

Cranial osteology and palaeobiology of the Early Cretaceous bird Jeholornis prima (Aves: Jeholornithiformes)

Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. doi:10.1093/zoolinnean/zlac089

Abstract: Cranial osteology and palaeobiology of the Early Cretaceous bird Jeholornis prima (Aves: Jeholornithiformes)

Jeholornis is a representative of the earliest-diverging bird lineages, providing important evidence of anatomical transitions involved in bird origins. Although ~100 specimens have been reported, its cranial morphology remains poorly documented owing to poor two-dimensional preservation, limiting our understanding of the morphology and ecology of the key avian lineage Jeholornithiformes, in addition to cranial evolution during the origin and early evolution of birds. Here, we provide a detailed description of the cranial osteology of Jeholornis prima, based primarily on high-quality, three-dimensional data of a recently reported specimen. New anatomical information confirms the overall plesiomorphic morphology of the skull, with the exception of the more specialized rostrum. Data from a large sample size of specimens reveal the dental formula of J. prima to be 0–2–3 (premaxillary–maxillary–dentary tooth counts), contrary to previous suggestions that the presence of maxillary teeth is diagnostic of a separate species, Jeholornis palmapenis. We also present evidence of sensory adaptation, including relatively large olfactory bulbs in comparison to other known stem birds, suggesting that olfaction was an important aspect of Jeholornis ecology. The digitally reconstructed scleral ring suggests a strongly diurnal habit, supporting the hypothesis that early-diverging birds were predominantly active during the day.

Enjoy,

Fred

Last edited:
Do you have access to this paper Fred? A don't have access to those from Oxford.
No, but fortunately I have a friend who has access and he sends me papers if I ask for them!

If you want the paper, please send me your e-mail address, I must have it somewhere but can't find it at the moment.

Fred

Figure 1. Photograph (A), left view of the three-dimensionally reconstructed skull (B) and lateral (C) and ventral (D) views of the two-dimensional cranial reconstruction of Jeholornis STM 3-8 (following Hu et al., 2022). Scale bars: 5 mm. Abbreviations: an, angular; br, braincase; de, dentary; ep, ectopterygoid; fr, frontal; ju, jugal; la, lacrimal; ma, maxilla; na, nasal; pa, palatine; pre, premaxilla; po, postorbital; pro, preorbital ossification; pt, pterygoid; qj, quadratojugal; qu, quadrate; sp, splenial; sq, squamosal; sr, scleral ring; su, suangular; v, vomer. Dashed lines indicate the elements not preserved but suspected to exist.

Attachments

• Jeholornis-1.jpg
    Jeholornis-1.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 1
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back