• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Critically Endangered Orange-bellied parrot on the brink of extinction (1 Viewer)

I can't believe that we are now in this situation where this unique migratory parrot is now is in such dire straits. I find it a real shock to think that an Australian bird can become extinct in the wild in my lifetime. I know extinctions are an increasing feature of our world but had hoped that the ongoing research and support for the OBP had given it some hope...it appears not.

See link below for Australian Federal Governments recent statement on the Orange Bellied Parrot.
http://www.environment.gov.au/minister/garrett/2010/mr20100421a.html

We rather want to raise questions than give answers.

Who counts the birds? Who raised the figure of 50 birds left in the wild???
If it is true that there are only 50 left in the wild, why would they want to take 20 from the wild into captive breeding programs, if there are more than enough breeders, owners of those birds that could be asked FIRST to contribute birds to captive breeding programs???? Why reduce the number of wild birds of this species even further, considering that there are thousands and perhaps even more living in captivity??

We question climate change being the cause of a decline in a bird species. Birds roam on earth since the time of the dinosaurs. They were capable to adapt to about everything: Earlier climate changes, abrupt climate changes in the present, exotic parrot species surviving in countries that show much lower temperatures than their home countries, parrots being fed milk and bread for years surviving such an inappropriate diet...How could they not survive in the wild?

Shouldn´t we rather address the breeders/owners of those birds and ask them to give back to nature, to give back to all of us what they took?

If a species is not left in the wild and if we want to see it, than there is no other choice than going to a park/zoo/breeder and pay for the right to see it or pay the price for a bird to own it.

We, lorobolivia, believe that keeping birds in captivity keeps them from living in the wild and is the reason of the decline of bird species, including parrots, worldwide.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back