• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow or Raven in San Francisco Bay Area (1 Viewer)

vbnut

I took these photos in the late morning on October 7, 2018 at the Skyline Blvd vista point parking lot near the northern entrance to Russian Ridge Open Spec Preserve in the Santa Cruz Mountains in San Mateo County, California along the San Francisco Peninsula. I'm not sure if this is a crow or a raven, although I'm leaning towards raven. Can anyone help confirm which it is?

Attachments

• PSC_20181007_0234.jpg
    PSC_20181007_0234.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 47
  • PSC_20181007_0270.jpg
    PSC_20181007_0270.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 47
Looks like a Common Raven to me, with the loose throat feathers and long bristles along its bill, but I am confused about what I am seeing. Is this bird missing its tail?

Definitely a raven, as others have stated.

I think the tail is fully visible but aligned with the left wing (tail in sun, wing as a shadow).

Thanks for the confirmation everyone.

I think birdmeister is right, the tail is there, but the left wing is mostly hidden.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back