• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crowned Solitary Eagle (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
AOU-SACC Proposal #681 (Schulenberg, Oct 2015): Change the English name of Buteogallus coronatus.

PS. The discussion of other treatments omits to mention that three of the four major world checklists - IOC and HBW/BirdLife, in addition to H&M4 (Dickinson & Remsen 2013) - as well as Ferguson-Lees & Christie 2001, all use the name Crowned Solitary Eagle.

Last edited:
AOU-SACC Proposal #681 (Schulenberg, Oct 2015): Change the English name of Buteogallus coronatus.

PS. The discussion of other treatments omits to mention that three of the four major world checklists - IOC and HBW/BirdLife, in addition to H&M4 (Dickinson & Remsen 2013) - as well as Ferguson-Lees & Christie 2001, all use the name Crowned Solitary Eagle.

I mentioned that "Crowned Solitary Eagle" was used by Dickinson and Remsen, but you're right, I didn't extend this to note that "Crowned Solitary Eagle" currently is used by "everyone else". Good point.

There's obviously a risk with coining a new name (i.e., that no one will adopt it). But "Crowned Solitary Eagle" is (in my opinion) unnecessarily long; requires a modifier to the English name for Buteogallus solitarius, making the name for * that * species unnecessarily long; and then "xxx Solitary Eagle" inevitably will instigate more hand wringing over stoopid hyphens. So "Chaco Eagle" is an attempt to solve that problem, as well as the conflict with the English name for Stephanoaetus coronatus. We'll see if it pays off ...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back