• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CRYPTIC plumage 2 (10 Viewers)

Yaay D! Indeed. I’m going to repost my earlier post (edited now!) so that it’s on the same page (to save people going back and forth!)

ANAGRAMS - 6 European birds and 6 North American birds

European

1. A BIGOT LICK-TWADDLE = Black-tailed Godwit (Rosbifs)
2. NICE MAD DRUNK = Mandarin (Rosbifs - sorry about the typo!)
3. I SEA JANUARY = Eurasian Jay (Rosbifs)
4. DANGER RE BRAWL = Garden Warbler (Rosbifs)
5. DEAF FLIER = Fieldfare (Kits)
6. MALIGN A TREE FROG = Greater Flamingo (Rosbifs)

North American

7. BROMANCE IN AIR = American ROBIN (Delia)
8. PRESENT WADER PINS = Western Sandpiper (Kits)
9. RESOWN HUE = House Wren (Kits)
10. JAB YULE = Blue Jay (Kits)
11. VERY ODD EERIE = Red-eyed Vireo (Kits)
12. OUST FITTED MUTE = Tufted Titmouse (Waccoe)

Well done all :clap:

With the cryptic clues - please tell how you got there!

1. With shark in front, (AKA) ‘Little Sparrow’ has none, with no beginning or end (WP) (5, 5, 5)

2. Red Morph mixed up detail given to theatre type nurse at start of renal operation ending in waste receptacle. (WP/O) (6-6,5,5)

3. Hear for example, that Mathew Smith scored one, at his home, with the top of the head and going to eg.lend kit randomly. (N) (6,7,7)

4. Yank hair piece takes something like a billion years to produce what is aka having no hair perhaps? (N) (8,6)

5.Literary schoolboy gets looser prize for seafarer (pelag.) (5,5)

6.It all sounds like Australian called British naval man with food on stick to catch this large pirate (pelag.) (8,4)

7.Fleming’s chief, using overrail in the States is really repulsive and a constant triller for this mimic (WP) (9,7)

8. reptilian type skin, rug maker for example, produces fearsome looking specimen (Ethiop) (it’s a finch!) = SOLVED (Rosbifs)

Last edited:
2. Rufous tailed scrub robin

Red morph - Rufous
Mixed up 'detail' - tailed
Theatre nurse - Scrub

Start of
renal - R
Operation - O

Ending Waste receptacle - Bin
ROBin

7. Melodious Warbler

Bit stuck here
M - flemings chief
Really repulsive - ODIOUS - US also states

Contact triller music - WARBLE

I'm missing some letters but overrail I don't get... EL - Electric light rail - US - maybe some abbreviation ELR - EL before odious leaving the R for after the Warble....

Last edited:
3. Golden Crowned Kinglet

Sounds like scores one - sounds like scores a GOAL - GOL

Home - DEN

Top of head CROWN (Mathew Smith in the Crown)

Random - anagram - EG.LEND KIT - KINGLET with the spare ED being added to Crown....

Struggled with Mathew Smith because I didn't know who he was....

UPDATE

1. With shark in front, (AKA) ‘Little Sparrow’ has none, with no beginning or end (WP) (5, 5, 5) = SOLVED Rosbifs - of course it was Edith Piaf AKA Little Sparrow, who had no regrets :t:

2. Red Morph mixed up detail given to theatre type nurse at start of renal operation ending in waste receptacle. (WP/O) (6-6,5,5) = SOLVED Rosbifs, exactly :t:

3. Hear for example, that Mathew Smith scored one, at his home, with the top of the head and going to eg.lend kit randomly. (N) (6,7,7) = SOLVED Rosbifs - Matt Smith is lead striker for Millwall, so sounds like goal is correct, the home ground of Millwall is the Den of course (or a foxes home). I slightly cheated in that I used the English name ‘Matthew’ rather than the French variant ;

4. Yank hair piece takes something like a billion years to produce what is aka having no hair perhaps? (N) (8,6) SOLVED = GOYTER -exactly! :t: American Wigeon also known as ‘Baldpate’ of course (having no hair!)

5.Literary schoolboy gets looser prize for seafarer (pelag.) (5,5) = SOLVED Rosbifs - exactly! :t:

6.It all sounds like Australian called British naval man with food on stick to catch this large pirate (pelag.) (8,4) = SOLVED - Rosbifs, exactly right and Skuas of course are pirates! :t:

7.Fleming’s chief, using overrail in the States is really repulsive and a constant triller for this mimic (WP) (9,7) Fleming’s chief indeed is ‘M’, the US over rail is called the EL (Elevated Railway), ‘odious’ of course, and a ‘constant triller’ is a warbler - and as you know, Melodious Warblers are great mimics! SOLVED = Rosbifs :t:

8. reptilian type skin, rug maker for example, produces fearsome looking specimen (Ethiop) (it’s a finch!) = SOLVED (Rosbifs)

Well done everyone- more in a few days ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back