• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current state of roads in Spanish Pyrenees (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Hi

Next Friday (26th) I embark on a brief two night / three day tour of Northern Spain staying at Boletas both nights. Hope to go to Belchite and Los Monegros steppes for Dupont's and Little Bustard, but also a day trip up to Astun / Candanchu for possible-but-unlikely Snow Finch & also Alpine Chough, and the monastery at Sanctuary de la Pena for Black Woody & Citril Finch hopefully. Thats 6 lifers but i do not really expect to get half and I may get none ! Last November I tried to drive to Astun but had to turn back just before Jaca due to a snow storm. Once again I will have no snow chains (and wouldn't know how to put them on if I did hire them).

I realise I may again have to abandon Pyrenees plans if the weather is bad :-though I know snowploughs regularly sweep the roads clear.

Anyone know what condition the roads are in at present, or a good website for up to date road info? I had hoped late-March would be ok but its been a cold, snowy winter everywhere in Europe.

Many thanks in advance.:t:

Last edited:
At present you would be able to get to all ski resorts in the pyrenees without snow chains. Cols are still closed. That could change quite quickly but even with fresh snow the roads would be clear within a day.

On french side snow finches are about at 1800m and Accentors 2000m.

Check out ski stations for these - Formigal or Panticosa - could be quite easy as is Alpine Chough. Mountain restaurants if can get to them...

Black Wood active

Don't forget Wallcreeper - they are starting to move back up so could pick up.

Thats really helpful Rosbifs, thank you. I saw Wallcreeper on my last visit but of coures if time permits I will search again. I was really terrified last time, getting caught in a snow storm. I will obviously monitor weather reports closely on the day.

I am particularly fearful of getting caught near the Pena monastery which I gather has a steep approach road,

I do hope to get to the french border as I gather Snow Finches can be seen behind the shops on the french side. Thats if I fail with seeing them at Astun and Candanchu.

guess a bit late now but where were you planning or where did you cross the border. Anyway, hope you had a good weekend.

over the weeken have had Wallcreeper in village, Serin, Swallow and Lammergeier overhead.

In the woods Black Woodpecker (3pairs), GS Wood, Marsh Tit, Firecrest, Goldcrest (not so common here), Golden Eagle...

Still waiting for the White Backed Wood!!!

guess a bit late now but where were you planning or where did you cross the border. Anyway, hope you had a good weekend.

over the weeken have had Wallcreeper in village, Serin, Swallow and Lammergeier overhead.

In the woods Black Woodpecker (3pairs), GS Wood, Marsh Tit, Firecrest, Goldcrest (not so common here), Golden Eagle...

Still waiting for the White Backed Wood!!!

Hi rosbifs, I have a report on Vacational Trip Reports now up.

I got to Astun/Candanchu/Somport - plenty of Alpine Choughs but no Snowfinches or Alpine Accentors. Saw a distant small flock of Goldfinches at Astun, I know it is mild but would they appear at such high locations?. Are SnowFinches still around or is it too mild now for them to be at ski resorts?

Otherwise was quite a successful trip - Black Woody at Pena and Duponts Lark at El Planeron. :t:

Hi,
I'm bumping this old thread but I have the exact same question.
I will be in Catalonia from 2 to 5 april and maybe I will go one day in the Pyrenees. The area would be near Andorra and Puigcerda. I have no chains for my car too.

Roads are perfectly clear although snow is predicted this week - that said the snow will be gone within a day due to the high temperature of the roads...

Some of the mountain passes are still closed though.

Roads are perfectly clear although snow is predicted this week - that said the snow will be gone within a day due to the high temperature of the roads...

Some of the mountain passes are still closed though.
Thanks ! If some mountain passes are closed does that mean crossing to France is still possible or not ?

Depends on the crossing

eg.
Col D'Aubisque closed
Col Tourmalet closed

I would guess all the major France Spain crossings are open though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back