• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead Chickadees (1 Viewer)

alimiller

United States
This is my first year of FINALLY having a bird family move into one of my birdhouses. The Chickadees are about 1-2 weeks old. Yesterday I found a deceased baby Chickadees in the same yard as the nest but a good distance away. This morning I found another one also a good distance from nest. They obviously didn't fall out or get pushed out. Do you know what happened? Do BlueJays or Crows go after nests? What can I do to help prevent this. Also as of recently I have an issue with some rats. I do have an exterminator working on that but could they be the culprit? Any advice would be appreciated

That's too bad. It sounds like something have taken them out, sometimes I think they do fall out on their own. If a predator took them, you would think they would have eaten them. I've read that sometimes mites and lice are so bad it can cause baby birds to fall out of the nest.

BTW - if you hired an exterminator in the US you want to make sure they're not using anti-coagulant poison. Ideally no poison bait at all. You probably already knew that, just thought I'd mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back