• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

December UK - short trip ideas. (1 Viewer)

Hi, thinking if getting away for a few days in December (I have annual leave to use or lose).

I'm in Somerset and don't want to drive for too long so looking for something in the bottom half of the UK. I'd love to go to the coast and to see something/somewhere special - not really interested in rarities, more beautiful, spectacular etc.. I wondered about Norfolk but that is over 5 hours drive and would ideally not want to be on the road that long, but that might be the best choice?

Suggestions gratefully received...

South Devon? Exe Estuary for Avocets et al, Dawlish for chances of Slavonian Grebes or other occasional seabirds, South Hams for Cirl Bunting, reserves for Dartford Warbler

South Devon? Exe Estuary for Avocets et al, Dawlish for chances of Slavonian Grebes or other occasional seabirds, South Hams for Cirl Bunting, reserves for Dartford Warbler
Great but all a bit close to home and not new to me. I go to the Exe quite regularly, it is as close to me as the Somerset Levels.

South Wales, but birding mix not very dissimilar to Somerset. Maybe Norfolk is the the best option for you - surely some of the best winter birding in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back