• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Denmark. A Tern and waders (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Mid August. Bad pictures again, but I think the birds can be identified. My attempts:
1- Arctic Tern?
2. (from left to right)
2a Gotwit? Black-tailed?
2b Red knot?
2c Ruff?
2d Little Stint?
3. Kentish Plover?

I'm very thankful for all your replies.
I think the right protocol is give thumbs-ups rather than reply with thank-yous to avoid extending the thread, Am I wrong?
In any case, I wish I could get all you faithful repliers together one day and buy you all one pint....or more.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
1) yes probably
2) 3 ruff and a something—probably stint given bill shape and overall size [or perhaps dunlin but I suspect stint]. Maybe Temminck's ?
3) no but not sure what it is. Perhaps stint (of some kind) again
Hello, as an observer (I am aware I have virtually no experience) I wanted to ask if redshank is possible, the rather clean separation between upper and underparts, and the somewhat almost visible supercilium thingymajig on the closest bird.
I think the right protocol is give thumbs-ups rather than reply with thank-yous to avoid extending the thread, Am I wrong?
In any case, I wish I could get all you faithful repliers together one day and buy you all one pint....or more.
You are right, and I'll have orange juice please.

2. Far right - Little stint would fit. Dunlin seems less likely and I can't see a reason to suspect Temmick's stint.
3. The same. Plausibly even the same bird.

Mid August. Bad pictures again, but I think the birds can be identified. My attempts:
1- Arctic Tern?
2. (from left to right)
2a Gotwit? Black-tailed?
2b Red knot?
2c Ruff?
2d Little Stint?
3. Kentish Plover?

I'm very thankful for all your replies.
Hi, do you know if the bird on the far right of 2 could be the same bird in 3? I know you identified it as two different things but is there a possibility of them being the same bird?

Wait, these pictures are on ebird now. Aren't they? Just saw them yesterday.
I just posted the first one, the Arctic Tern. The other two, I didn't.

Hi, do you know if the bird on the far right of 2 could be the same bird in 3? I know you identified it as two different things but is there a possibility of them being the same bird?
Hi, maplekong. It might be. Pictures 2 and 3 were taken within the same minute, but there were lots of waders.

I thought pic 3 could be a Kentish Plover on account of the red on its head, white collar with black below, black legs and very white underpants. Of course, I must admit the photo is horrendous.

Hi, maplekong. It might be. Pictures 2 and 3 were taken within the same minute, but there were lots of waders.

I thought pic 3 could be a Kentish Plover on account of the red on its head, white collar with black below, black legs and very white underpants. Of course, I must admit the photo is horrendous.
Shape and colour distribution is wrong for Kentish plover. We would expect to see more white inc white collar.

This/these are stints. If it's one bird then little is most likely. If 2, the reasons for suggesting temminck's for the first include elongate, top heavy shape, possible breast band. But with pictures this bad I wouldn't make a definite id---unless your experience of them in the flesh leads in one direction or another

Users who are viewing this thread

Back