• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dictionary of English Bird Names (1 Viewer)

I do not intend to include obsolete, local or dialectical names
In my spare time _which is not much), I study Middle English and read books in Middle English. I am in possession of an antique English Dictionary. You must go back to the Middle Ages to see why some of these bird names originated and what they mean. For example, why is a Redstart called a Redstart and why is a Titmouse called a Titmouse? The answer lies in the name of these birds from about 500 to 800 years ago.

I am not sure if this can be included in this topic, but here it goes: I would like to know if vernacular English names (and more specifically the names of species native to the UK) have changed a lot throughout the 20th century and if there were any conflicts concerning what would be the "best" bird names.

Below are the editions of the British List that I can find online, so you can go through them and compare, if you wish :

1st ed, 1883 : Details - A list of British birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library
2nd ed, 1915 : Details - A list of British birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library
[...]
6th ed, 1992 : Checklist of birds of Britain and Ireland : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive (no download; can be 'borrowed' for 1 hour given free registration)
7th ed, 2006 : https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1474-919X.2006.00603.x
8th ed , 2013 : https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ibi.12069
9th ed, 2018 : https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ibi.12536
10th ed, 2022 : https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ibi.13065

In the recent editions, some birds are given two English names, an 'English vernacular name' and an 'international English name' (= the name recommended by IOC). Many of the 'English vernacular names' still differ from the corresponding IOC name in that they lack a modifier (Shoveler, Wigeon, Black Duck, Pintail, Teal, Pochard, Scaup, Eider, etc., etc.). In other cases, the differences may reflect the race that occurs in Britain (Bewick's vs. Tundra Swan, Red vs. Willow Grouse), or be due to the adoption by IOC of an American spelling (Brent vs. Brant Goose) or name (Diver vs. Loon, Skua vs. Jeager, Guillemot vs. Murre). And yes, the 'English vernacular name' of Panurus biarmicus was still Bearded Tit, even in the latest ed of the List.

If you try going through the first edition, and unless you're already accustomed to 19th C scientific nomenclature, my bet is that you'll find the English names much more useful than the scientific names to understand the list. (Overall, the stability of English names, at least once incorporated in a checklist, is actually rather impressive.)

Last edited:
Although my planned Dictionary of English Bird Names is still only in its early stages, I give below part of the Introduction (written in 2009), presaging the current hue and cry and petition to the AOS, true descendents of Eugene Eisenmann, regarding eponyms.

“Most modern specific English names, especially those of tropical birds, are made-up or book-names created within the last one hundred years for the benefit of the ever increasing body of bird-watchers and field ornithologists. Despite the pioneering efforts of Cory, Hellmayr & Conover (1918-1949), W.
Sclater (1924-1930), and Mathews (1930), early attempts to provide regional English bird-names were generally met with indifference, the subject not being considered relevant or weighty enough by the museum-bound ornithological community. Even the bold experiment by the editors of Peters’ Checklist(1960), Vol. IX, was never repeated. Modern attempts to standardise the bird names of a regional avifauna began under the guidance of Eugene Eisenmann (especially The Species of Middle American Birds (1955)), followed by Rodolphe Meyer de Schauensee, whose seminal The Species of Birds of South America and their Distribution (1966) laid a solid foundation for the names of Neotropical birds. Both of these authors set a trend by trawling through the confusing wealth of names that had previously been used, and choosing a single epithet for each species that was considered the most appropriate or popular. Eisenmann formulated guide-lines for deciding on the most suitable name, although his anathema towards eponyms became the butt of a doggerel rhyme,
There was a young birder named Gene
Who on eponyms vented his spleen.
Temminck and Kittlitz
Were both on his hitlitz,
And Pallas should never be seen
.” ANON.
Nevertheless, his criteria formed the basis for many of today’s modern treatments (even Sibley & Monroe (1991) preferred “Lemon-rumped Warbler” over
“Pallas’s Leaf Warbler”), and, since the boom in bird-watching and foreign travel and the subsequent wealth of hand-books, popular magazines and
field-guides, the importance and use of English names has gained momentum. In the USA, in the best traditions of a civil service, committees have been
set up to decide on the most appropriate names for the birds of the Americas. They have the best of motives, but, like all bureaucracies, become self-
fulfilling and mired in minutiae, defensive of their opinions and perceived rights, and have too easily forgotten the purpose and benefits of scientific
names.”

As you are working on "English names of the birds of the world", you must have already collected a lot of information.
I need a little help to find the first use of the name 'BANK MYNA' as an English name for Acridotheres ginginianus.
Till now, I have traced it back to 1844 when Blyth used the name 'Bank Mynah' (Blyth, E. 1844. Appendix to Mr. Blyth's report for December meeting, 1842. [Continued from vol XII, p. 1011.]. Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. XIII: (Part I No. 149) 361-395).
I shall be very thankful to you if you can share any earlier use of this name in ornithological literature.

Gurpartap,

Thanks for your enquiry. My proposed Dictionary of English Bird Names is still in its infancy, but I am concentrating on definitive names (i.e. Myna) rather than qualifiers (i.e. Bank Myna). You have made a good start with Blyth 1844, and I suggest you investigate earlier issues of the Journal Asiatic Soc. Bengal and similar serials.
Myna, as Mina, can be traced back to 1769 (per Shorter Oxford E. D.)

Gurpartap,

Thanks for your enquiry. My proposed Dictionary of English Bird Names is still in its infancy, but I am concentrating on definitive names (i.e. Myna) rather than qualifiers (i.e. Bank Myna). You have made a good start with Blyth 1844, and I suggest you investigate earlier issues of the Journal Asiatic Soc. Bengal and similar serials.
Myna, as Mina, can be traced back to 1769 (per Shorter Oxford E. D.)
Thanks for your prompt reply, James🙏
I personally feel that your work will be more valuable if information on qualifiers can also be provided in addition to definitive names. This will differentiate your work from some other dictionaries that are already available.
As far as Bank Myna is concerned, the meaning of the name is very clear. It is derived from this species' habit of nesting almost exclusively in the self-excavated holes in earthen banks of rivers and rivulets. English names like Gingi Thrush and Gingi Grakle have been used in the past. So, I just wanted to know that when and by whom was the name Bank Myna given.
I have already gone through a lot of literature starting ftom 1782 when Pierre Sonnerat described it as Le petit Martin de Gingi.
Only after I didn't get any reference older than 1844 mentioning this species as Bank Myna, I thought about contacting you.
Anyway, I will do some more research as suggested by you.
Just in case you happen to find something in the due course of time, I would be happy to know.

Intermittently I am working on a 'Dictionary of English Bird Names'. Eugene Eisenmann in his 'The Species of Middle American Birds' (1955) laid the foundations for the English names of Neotropical birds. His anathema towards eponyms was legendary, and I am trying to recall a doggerel rhyme related to me years ago which went something like,

"There was a young birder named Gene
Who on eponyms vented his spleen.
Temminck and Kittlitz
Were both on his hitlitz,
And Pallas should never be seen." ANON.

Do any old birders remember the exact words of this clerihew?

What I find funny about this is that Eisenmann has a few species and subspecies named after him. I'm most familiar with Panterpe insignis eisenmanni but it looks like there are a few others. Although at least they all appear to only be in the scientific and not common names.

Coeligena, subsp. Panterpe insignis, Pheugopedius, subsp. Picumnus olivaceus, Pyrrhura, subsp. Sicalis luteola, subsp. Tachybaptus dominicus.
These were named after Eisenmann and not by him; I'm sure he would have disapproved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back