• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digibinning with Olympus SP-800 UZ (1 Viewer)

NhazUl

Hi there. I'm relatively new to birding and especially bird photography. I haven't bought a professional camera due to lack of time for regular shooting (2-3 times per month is not worth it) so I have an Olympus SP-800 UZ. It performs fairly well when the lighting is enough and the bird is close (3-6 meters), but otherwise it greatly decreases the quality of the picture. So I had a thought about digibinning, since I have an old pair of binoculars with one prism dislocated, e. g. no longer usable. The binoculars (JL Breaker 7x50) can be attached to a tripod.

However, due to the wide lens of the Olympus attaching it to the binoculars would be quite the problem. Fortunately, it has an option to macro at focus length of 1 cm, giving an image of its maximum resolution (14 megapixels at 50 ISO, while when I use the 30x optical zoom, the res drops to 8 megapixels and also the ISO is set automatically, most oftenly to 200 at bright sunlight). So I think it would be an improvement, provided I can effectively attach the camera. However, I doubt that such an adapter exists in the first place. So most probably I'll have to construct one. I will need any tips and advices you have to offer. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Hmm, I made a test with the binoculars. I used the camera of my cell phone, without any kind of adapters. It's a weak 1.2 megapixel (1280 x 960) camera. The object was at ~30 m distance. So, what do you think, would the quality be enough if I attached the Olympus instead? Should I proceed?

Attachments

• Photo-0001.jpg
    Photo-0001.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Hi NhazUI

I don't visit the forum much now, but I still do a fair bit of both digiscoping and digibinning. If you align the Binoculars and the 800uz correctly you should get some good results. I do not have that camera, so it is possible that internally the lens may retract away from the front when you zoom, if so you may end up shooting thruogh a dark tunnel. Canon G11 and G12 are not very suitable for the same reason. But my fuji's and wifes old olympus work well.

I can still get better results with my old Fuji F11 and Opticron 66mm ED scope than I can with thousands of pounds worth of DSLR cameras and long lenses.

Best wishes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back