• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping problem KOWA TSN-553 and Fujifilm X-T2 body, low quality photos (1 Viewer)

Steffen Rosen

Sweden
I have recently purchased the necessary items for digiscoping with my angled Kowa TSN-553 (which I like so much) and my Fujifilm X-T2 camera body, i.e. TSN-DA20, TSN-AR42GT and the Fujifilm T2 adapter. It all connects nicely with a robust feeling but here comes the problem: The photos are not sharp, no matter how careful I focus with the two Kowa focus knobs and whether I use 15, roughly 30 or roughly 40 times magnification. I have tested shutter times from 1/250 to 1/2000. My tripod is robust and I use a shutter release cable. There was no disturbing wind during the digiscoping.
Is simply the combination Kowa TSN-553 and Fujifilm X-T2 body not suitable??

I am in a relative hurry since my aim is to take photos on an osprey ”family” (1st time in 36 years when we have such an event with osprey breeding in my local surroundings in south-west Sweden!) and the young birds will probably leave their nest within two weeks.....

I have learnt that some people connect a Kowa tube and a Fujifilm camera via the Fujifilm XF 27 mm fixed lens. Will this work well? I have indeed now purchased the new Fujinon XF 27 mm F2.8R WR lens to hopefully manage proper digiscoping with Kowa TSN-553. However, I am puzzled since the TSN-AR filter does not appear to be available with the 39 mm filter for connection to the 27 mm lens. Anyone with a solution?
Thanks in advance!

Hi Steffen and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Digiscoping forum, as they're better placed to be able to help you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I have recently purchased the necessary items for digiscoping with my angled Kowa TSN-553 (which I like so much) and my Fujifilm X-T2 camera body, i.e. TSN-DA20, TSN-AR42GT and the Fujifilm T2 adapter. It all connects nicely with a robust feeling but here comes the problem: The photos are not sharp, no matter how careful I focus with the two Kowa focus knobs and whether I use 15, roughly 30 or roughly 40 times magnification. I have tested shutter times from 1/250 to 1/2000. My tripod is robust and I use a shutter release cable. There was no disturbing wind during the digiscoping.
Is simply the combination Kowa TSN-553 and Fujifilm X-T2 body not suitable??

I am in a relative hurry since my aim is to take photos on an osprey ”family” (1st time in 36 years when we have such an event with osprey breeding in my local surroundings in south-west Sweden!) and the young birds will probably leave their nest within two weeks.....

I have learnt that some people connect a Kowa tube and a Fujifilm camera via the Fujifilm XF 27 mm fixed lens. Will this work well? I have indeed now purchased the new Fujinon XF 27 mm F2.8R WR lens to hopefully manage proper digiscoping with Kowa TSN-553. However, I am puzzled since the TSN-AR filter does not appear to be available with the 39 mm filter for connection to the 27 mm lens. Anyone with a solution?
Thanks in advance!
Hej Steffen, please be patient and I am sure you will get some advice from other members. If I remember correctly from my time employed by Forsheda AB you are just to the south of Landvetter. I hope you are successful with the Ospreys.

Hej da
Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back