• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with a camera on a spotting scope seems possible by focusing is very difficult (2 Viewers)

Snatch

South Africa
I have a Pentax 65 with 20x ~ 60x eyepiece. Its a stunning scope and I am desperate to capture images through it. So going out on a limb, I bought a second hand Fujinon XT1 and a 35mm lens. This lens has the same filter thread as the Pentax eyepiece, so that the camera mount3 straight on to the scope - see image below. I get very little vignetting with the aperture set to 4.0. The problem is focusing, because you need to focus the scope to the subject and the camera to the scope. It would seem that focussing the scope without the camera on, and then gently adding the camera back on and focussing manually using the Fuji's 'focus assist' can produce results. Maybe there's a better way. The images also seem quite hazy and I have to post edit to increase the contrast. I think there's an optical issue with this arrangement. Maybe too much glass. Anyone care to comment or advise?

Attachments

• Pentax-Fuuji setup.jpg
    Pentax-Fuuji setup.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
Heya Snatch,

Whilst I do not know your setup. This is what I do. I adjust the diopter of my camera viewfinder so that the settings are sharp and clear to my eyes. (This can change day to day). Then once you've done that find your subject and focus with your scope.
As far as the attachment is concerned maybe a rotating spacer ring may help. This would allow you to lower your eyepiece magnification and keep your camera level.
There is no need to remove your camera from your scope. For best results try getting shots with your eyepiece zoomed out as much as you can. You'll get faster shutter speeds because your eyepiece will be letting in more light.
However looking at your setup you have a couple of problems imo. Your scope has a 65mm objective which whilst you'll get shots through it it will not let much light through and coupled with a "slow" lens (f4) will not help. You've got the rightish focal length lens for digiscoping with an aspc camera you would not really want wider than 30mm, 28mm at a push. Going longer on focal length is not a good idea. The aspc camera soaks up light and will always provide slower shutter speeds than m4/3 cameras (most digiscopers use M43) I use full frame which soaks up even more light but I have an 88mm objective.
A couple of other things from your pic. Your ballhead will work but as you know when trying to shoot through the scope that your base is not balanced. This will slow you down getting on subjects and possibly even introduce shake to your shots. A videohead with a long plate would help you to balance out the system. A correctly balance system could mean that you would not necessarily have to tighten your videohead, but you'll always need to tighten a ballhead to some degree.
If this seems like too much hassle or cost implications, why not try phonescoping using your mobile phone. I suspect with the 65mm objective of your scope that would probably be the best way to go.
This digiscoping lark can, and has been for me very expensive over the years. All comments above are my personal opinions, but I have been scoping now for... geeeeeze just coming on 16 years. This may come across as snobby or brusque. I assure you I am not, just trying to be helpful.

B lucky
Gary Loader aka 5Bellies Digiscoping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back