• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Distinctive call, Appennine Mountains, Italy (1 Viewer)

payaminotom

United Kingdom
Hey all,

Little puzzle for you all today, I can't seem to place this call I recorded in the Italian Dolomites, near L'Aquila, the other day. Throughout the recording the bird calls consistently, it is the single noted "springy" sound that at first seems quieter, getting louder later on in the recording, the bird sounded as if it was flying towards me. This was recorded at about 1200m altitude. My first impression was a chough, but now I feel unsure. If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated:) thanks!!

Attachments

• aquila bird mp3cut.net) (mp3cut.net).mp3
    1.5 MB
Hello,
thanks for correction.

Hearing recordings from real Nutcrackers again, I realized that I was biased:

Nutcracker was a bird I heard many winters in my youth on holidays in the Dolomites, sitting on the top of a conifere.
And yes, anyone knows what's with Nutcracker here on BF?

Your recording isn't an Alpine Cough imo, but it's a long time that I heard my last one (and again I remember one stealing my sandwich, will never forget that).

So might well be a Jay, and there is a White wagtail (?) in your recording too.
But it reminds me of some of the strange sounds of a Black Woodpecker, and although Jays can be excellent mimetics, the calls gave some "woodpeckerish" quality to me and Black Woodpecker was the first species that came into my mind.
This species and Green Woodpecker can give a variety of unsuspected calls (at least to me) you know.

Hello,
thanks for correction.

Hearing recordings from real Nutcrackers again, I realized that I was biased:

Nutcracker was a bird I heard many winters in my youth on holidays in the Dolomites, sitting on the top of a conifere.
And yes, anyone knows what's with Nutcracker here on BF?

Your recording isn't an Alpine Cough imo, but it's a long time that I heard my last one (and again I remember one stealing my sandwich, will never forget that).

So might well be a Jay, and there is a White wagtail (?) in your recording too.
But it reminds me of some of the strange sounds of a Black Woodpecker, and although Jays can be excellent mimetics, the calls gave some "woodpeckerish" quality to me and Black Woodpecker was the first species that came into my mind.
This species and Green Woodpecker can give a variety of unsuspected calls (at least to me) you know.
So sorry Alexander, I got mountain ranges mixed up, this was in the Appennines, not the Dolomites. The exact location I just outside of L'Aquila in Abruzzo. I've updated the thread title.

I should say the chough which I was more inclined towards was Red Billed, which occurs there in abundance, and is more common at lower elevations than Alpine. Interesting your suggestion of Black Woodpecker, but that species has never been recorded there. Green woodpecker I know also can give strange calls at times, but I'm not convinced! Would welcome any more suggestions based on the new geographical info:) thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back