• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you count heard only birds on your life list? (2 Viewers)

Do you count heard only birds on your life list?

• Yes, I will tick any bird that I hear if I can be confident of the identification

• Yes, but only for certain birds that are difficult to see

• No, but I count them for other types of lists, e.g. my year list

• No--I never tick a bird for any of my personal lists unless I see it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Blimey, I've just worked out that whether or not I count heard only birds on my life list currently determines whether I've made it to half way or not! At the current rate of splitting things I've not seen (or heard) I'll soon be well less than half way though!

Today I didn't tick off a Chiffchaff, Skylark and Cetti's Warbler because I couldn't see them in the rain/ fog :D
Also not ticking the Tawny Owl that I just heard in my garden. :D

As I said, everyone to their own.
Today I didn't tick off a Chiffchaff, Skylark and Cetti's Warbler because I couldn't see them in the rain/ fog :D
Also not ticking the Tawny Owl that I just heard in my garden. :D
Pretty impressive that there were so many lifers available to you in one day. Somewhat surprised that you haven't seen these common species though to count of your life list. ;)

I'm pretty sure that we're all in - rare - agreement about recording birds that you hear.

Oh dear. I've changed my vote from 2) to 1).

I remembered Iberian Green Woodpecker, which I heard but never saw in Spain, wasn't sure what I was going to do with that, but then I remembered hearing Eagle Owl in Spain one balmy evening on a family holiday when I was a teenager from some low cliffs near an orange grove and THEN I even remembered getting calling Scops Owl out of the toilet window one spring on the garden/house list in France. So given I experienced them all ... (and have yet to see any, terrible I know) ... oml I'm afraid. Maybe I'll make an effort to upgrade one day ...

(Never licked a bird, although I did kick a Blackbird once. Only one for the daylist. Full Sensory Birding ... )

Last edited:
I think the only bird on my list that I haven't seen (or possibly did but can't be sure) is corncrake. They were audible on the Nene washes and saw movement in the grass but it could have been anything

Blimey, I've just worked out that whether or not I count heard only birds on my life list currently determines whether I've made it to half way or not! At the current rate of splitting things I've not seen (or heard) I'll soon be well less than half way though!
Half way to having ticked all the world's birds?

#1 for me. I began listing heard only's basically because I couldn't find a logical reason not to. I especially don't see the logic behind ticking heard only year birds but not heard only lifers. However, like Paul Chapman has commented, listing a heard only doesn't mean it's a satisfactory experience, or that I don't try to see the bird. I even try to see all new year birds most of the time, but I couldn't say which of the birds on my 2024 list are heard-only or seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back