• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dodoma, Tanzania: black and white bird (1 Viewer)

HinzundKunz

Tanzania
I saw this bird today in a bush outside our window. It's my first time seeing it, so I don't know what it is. It could be a black-headed apalis, but also something totally different.
The images are all blurred because my camera was focusing on a twig, but you can still see the coloring.
Anyone who knows what this is?
DSC04778.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04776.JPG
    DSC04776.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC04777.JPG
    DSC04777.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC04779.JPG
    DSC04779.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC04780.JPG
    DSC04780.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC04781.JPG
    DSC04781.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 25
Hmmm, how about Fiscal Flycatcher? Or, if that's out of range, the local equivalent?

Attachments

• Fiscal Flycatcher 8d-denoise.JPG
    Fiscal Flycatcher 8d-denoise.JPG
    13.4 MB · Views: 2
Yes, that would look similar. But according to the African Bird Club app, there are no black-and-white flycatchers in Tanzania, except the semi collared flycatcher, which looks very different. The fiscal flycatcher is said to only come up to the southern parts of Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

I remember having a similar problem: in such situations you can use manual focus, I think. The quality won't be stellar, but better than the faulty autofocus in this case. And it's not difficult to get a passable photo using manual focus--I'm no photographer; just read the camera's manual, and it was enough.

EDIT: A manual-focus picture of Common Nightingale at close distance:

Attachments

• 447403021.jpg
    447403021.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you all for all the suggestions. I think the images are too bad to make a good decision. Best bets this far is either a black-headed apalis, or I misjudged the size and it is an eastern violet-backed sunbird. I'll wait whether it shows up again and will try to get better pictures. I have tried to set up my camera in a way that might give me better images in a bushy environment (single focus, single measurement etc).

May well be; I thought it was staining or a shadow because there's a narrow white wedge at the side of the dark area.

EDIT: Surely better than the boubou I tried to propose on account of the thick and stubby bill of the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back