• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunlin migrants - E. Ireland May 2024 (1 Viewer)

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Hi

I've been observing Dunlin in my local patch in Kilcoole, Wicklow, the last couple of days. They have well defined black bellies, but does anyone know the most likely subspecies to be occurring in this location at this time of year? From what I can gather they would likely be passage migrants rather than late-staying winter birds, it would seem to be Schinzii but I might have interpreted the maps wrongly.

Also do you think it is practically possible to identify the ssp by appearance alone?

Many thanks

Andrew

You may find this thread helpful:
I think most will be 'alpina' at this time of year, but subspecific ID can be complicated because of variations and clinal changes.

Thanks Andrew, and it seems I even posted on that thread and then forgot.
I'm still confused mind you, it seems my choices are "Arctica/Schinzi" or "Alpina". I know the picture is quite different between E. Britain and NW Britain (Jane's territory which I'm assuming is not dissimilar to mine just over the pond).

It seems from various migration maps that in winter the race is overwhelmingly Alpina whereas in spring passage it is mainly Arctica/Schinzi that pass through E. Ireland. But I might have got that wrong. And from Jane's posts I think those have shorter bills than Alpina but again could be wrong about that too. I get a kick out of knowing where the birds I'm viewing have come from, hence my interest.

I got interested in one I saw at Girdle Ness last year because it was really massive compared to other Dunlin (see photos). I asked Jane and Martin Gray and they thought it was still alpina. It apparently needs more white at the base of the inner primaries for something more eastern.

Attachments

• Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623a.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623a.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623b.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623b.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 24
  • Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623c.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623c.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623d.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_030623d.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 23
Thanks again. I suppose that if the W. European populations are more or less lumped as Alpina then the question goes away, and everything I see here, bar vagrants, would be called Alpina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back