• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dusk light performance relative to weight, NL Pure 10x32 vs 10x42 (3 Viewers)

Hello everybody,

My current setup includes (among an age old spotter) a Nikon Monarch M7 8x30. So the the needs for a light weight bino are covered.
However, I want to include an additional bino into the mix and decided on the NL Pure.
Living in Norther Scandinavia, low light performance is quite important for me, since the dusk period can be fairly long.
Now I am wondering, how much more noticeable is the increase in aperture between the x32 and the x42 variant? While I could try both, it wasn't side by side and not over an extended time frame, and certainly not in low light conditions.

My main usage cases are hiking, frequently over long periods of time and with heavy gear. My plan is to use the Nikon for scenarios where I need to save on weight, and the Swaro for most everything else. But still, I will carry it around in addition to a largish backpack quite frequently.

In you opinion, is it worth to accept the extra weight to get increased low light performance? How crucial is the difference in brightness anyway?

Best wishes and have a wonderful easter holdiday!

If you could try the 12x42 NL...

Hello everybody,

My current setup includes (among an age old spotter) a Nikon Monarch M7 8x30. So the the needs for a light weight bino are covered.
However, I want to include an additional bino into the mix and decided on the NL Pure.
Living in Norther Scandinavia, low light performance is quite important for me, since the dusk period can be fairly long.
Now I am wondering, how much more noticeable is the increase in aperture between the x32 and the x42 variant? While I could try both, it wasn't side by side and not over an extended time frame, and certainly not in low light conditions.

My main usage cases are hiking, frequently over long periods of time and with heavy gear. My plan is to use the Nikon for scenarios where I need to save on weight, and the Swaro for most everything else. But still, I will carry it around in addition to a largish backpack quite frequently.

In you opinion, is it worth to accept the extra weight to get increased low light performance? How crucial is the difference in brightness anyway?

Best wishes and have a wonderful easter holdiday!
Hello!

I have been birding in Finland, Lapland, Nothern Cape etc. at the end of may and it didn't even get dark! I have seen great grey owl, ural owl and pygmy owl all by light. Woodpeckers (white backed, three-toed, grey-headed), lekking grouse (black, capercaille, hazel), buntings (rustic, snow, lapland), etc. all by bright daylight.
Just saying: it depends on when you are birding! In may, juni, july, an 10x32 is sufficient and an excellent choice. That's the main birding season. The darker part of the year, I would go for 42mm, 50mm or even 56mm.
So when do you mostly hike? At summertime? Go for the NL 10x32. I have it and love it. Not much dimmer than the SLC 10x42 I tried.

I loved the birding in the nothern part of Scandinavia. One of the best trips of my life!

So, back from skiing in Sjaunja.
Yes, I would agree, 200 grams in a backpack, resting on your hip is not directly comparable to 200 grams more in a binocular. The binos hang from your neck, might be swinging around, bouncing etc. So I'm not sure if just saving up on body weight might be a good approach either :D
@ReinierB Thank you for your input! This actually got me thinking. While my case differs from yours in that I am here year round, you do make an excellent point. Most of the birding will be done in spring - autumn anyways where low-light capabilities are less of an issue.

@Declan Joseph Deasy Good point, however in winter, everything is frozen here, sea included. So maybe it is better to weigh up greater ease of use for long trips in summer against the occasional bird in winter. To be honest, I have absolutely no idea. But this thread provided me with loads of additional aspects to think about!

If you really like the 8x30, it also makes sense keeping this one for light travelling and add a NL 10x42. A bigger exit pupil is also a bit more comfortable/forgiving.
I have the EL 12x50 too and don't really think it is very heavy when I carry it bandolier style or on an harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back