• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Identification - Cape Nosappu, Hokkaido, Japan (1 Viewer)

Happy New Year everyone

Yesterday, I got these eagle photos from extreme NE Japan. The two common eagles in the area are Steller's Sea Eagle and White-tailed Eagle. It is definitely not the former and seems far too dark to be the latter. It was flying across the sea from the direction of the Kuril Islands.

Apologies for the quality of the photos

All the best,
Ross

Attachments

• DSCF1172.JPG
    DSCF1172.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
  • DSCF1174.JPG
    DSCF1174.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 114
I'm wondering if it could be a young Steller's Sea Eagle because I read the it has a tapering wing shape vs the barn door of WTE? But maybe not because the bill appears rather small.

If you were thinking about Pallas's Fish Eagle, they should now be on their southern wintering grounds, plus this individual doesn't have the contrasting underwing pattern of the juvenile or the pale head of the adult, which should be its features according to eBird.

Last edited:
I'll caveat this by stating that I've no field experience of Steller's, but doesn't p10 being shorter than P7 and P6, and the slightly squared and short P4 discount White-tailed eagle? Tricky angle, but the underparts look concolourous to me too, lacking the pale patches of WTe.

I too thought at least the bill is a bit hefty for WTE and better fits Steller's.

i came across one such mischievous animal on inaturalist a while back...no time to refind it though ....sorry

cheers
g

Thank you all for your ideas. Actually, my first thought was a Great Spotted Eagle, due to the darker colouration, but as far as I know these are very rare in Japan.

Sea Eagle up front. Note the absolute CHONK of a beak on the Steller's behind it - and that bill is not present on the OP's pics - But the bi-coloured bill of a Juv White Tailed Sea Eagle is. Comparison - Deffo a Juv White Tailed Sea Eagle.

Attachments

• stellar and white.jpg
    stellar and white.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back