• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Earliest reports of returning Eurasian Hobby to Mid-Europe (1 Viewer)

Schneppe

Germany
Hi there!

Does anyone of you have information or (personal) data of returning Eurasian Hobby (Falco subbuteo) from their wintering grounds?
I saw a migrating Hobby yesterday (4th of April) in Germany (Westfalia, river Lenne). It seems pretty early in the year, but it was one hundred percent.

Perhaps someone made a similar observation?

Thank you!

Fabian

Hi there!

Does anyone of you have information or (personal) data of returning Eurasian Hobby (Falco subbuteo) from their wintering grounds?
I saw a migrating Hobby yesterday (4th of April) in Germany (Westfalia, river Lenne). It seems pretty early in the year, but it was one hundred percent.

Perhaps someone made a similar observation?

Thank you!

Fabian
One reported Cornwall yesterday, and I'm sure I saw a report of an earlier one a week or two back. Hirundine flocks are starting in ...

One reported Cornwall yesterday, and I'm sure I saw a report of an earlier one a week or two back. Hirundine flocks are starting in ...
Hey Dan! Thanks for your reply! That helps a lot! Yes, saw at least 15 Hirundo rustica last friday in pouring snow above an artificial lake. They´re returning as well...

The earliest ever in Breskens (the Netherlands) was on 3 April, but 15-20 April is normal.
Almost everything seems to be late this year... Your description on ornitho.de looks fine though.

The earliest ever in Breskens (the Netherlands) was on 3 April, but 15-20 April is normal.
Almost everything seems to be late this year... Your description on ornitho.de looks fine though.
Hi! And thanks for your message! Yes, I was party writing because of a post on ornitho.de. I knew there were going to be suspicious thoughts.... But anyway, I don´t really think that a lot of birds are returning late this year. Black Stork seems to be back early; I do think the Hobby I have seen was early, too. Barn Swallow passed through rather early as well. Eurasian Blackcap seems to be later here in Westphalia/Germany than last year though.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back