• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador Amazon Questions (1 Viewer)

BruceBerman

Supporter
Multi-part Ecuador Question: My wife and I are heading to the EC Amazon in early January. We're planning on 3 1/2 days of birding (4 nights) at Sani Lodge or Sacha Lodge and then we'll cross the river and spend 3 1/2 days of birding (4 nights) at Napo Lodge.

Question #1: Sani or Sacha? Sani is less expensive but Sacha has a long canopy walkway.
Question #2: Do you think 7 days and 8 nights of birding in the EC Amazon is overkill?

Thanks!

Sorry I cannot help, but it is something I'm interested in...
Are you making your own arrangements or traveling with group?

It all depends on your objectives. If you are more of a lister Sani might be better (Cocha Antshrike, etc). If you want to see “everything” you need more time than 7-8 days by far. If you are going to get bored as soon as you aren’t getting myriad easy lifers it might be too much time.

Me personally, I wouldn’t be keen to travel that far and go down river from Coca without having time to actually enjoy it. I’ve not stayed at any of the three lodges but know the area and have birded at some of Sani’s sites / grounds. The whole area is lovely and most people, I should think, would stay entertained and keep enjoying for 7-8 days. I certainly would!

Sorry I cannot help, but it is something I'm interested in...
Are you making your own arrangements or traveling with group?
We are making our own arrangements, flying from Quito to Coca where we will stay for a night and then we'll be picked up by a lodge boat. After staying at our first lodge we'll have them take us to a landing on the river where the second lodge will pick us up. That lodge will take us back to Coca.

It all depends on your objectives. If you are more of a lister Sani might be better (Cocha Antshrike, etc). If you want to see “everything” you need more time than 7-8 days by far. If you are going to get bored as soon as you aren’t getting myriad easy lifers it might be too much time.

Me personally, I wouldn’t be keen to travel that far and go down river from Coca without having time to actually enjoy it. I’ve not stayed at any of the three lodges but know the area and have birded at some of Sani’s sites / grounds. The whole area is lovely and most people, I should think, would stay entertained and keep enjoying for 7-8 days. I certainly would!
Thanks for your input, pbjosh. There are two draws there, the canopy walkway and the better possibility of seeing a Harpy Eagle. I haven't compared the ebird lists yet, but I am lister, photographer and of course nature lover, so I doubt I'd get bored.

If your main target is Harpy Eagle, I would highly suggest to see if you can come in contact from someone of this community: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L21333625

They currently have in their land the only known accessible Harpy Eagle nest in Northern Ecuador and it might give you a better chance of seeing it than hoping to be lucky in Sacha Lodge.

Have fun in Ecuador and in the Napo river area. We spent over two months in Quito (prefer the cooler climate there than the hot and humid Amazon) and birding was excellent around Quito (over 200 lifers there for me). In Napo, we stayed for 3 nights at the La Selva Lodge and loved the birding and the hikes there. They have a tall tower from where you get great sightings. The boat ride from El Coca to the lodges on the Napo river is amazing! I don't remember the season when the river dries up a bit and boat access stops.

I hear the border area between Panama and Colombia is great for the Harpy eagle as well. If you have time, check out the Antisana Volcano paramo. The Yanacocha Reserve, one hour from Quito was amazing as well besides the famous Mindo, which is two hrs drive from Quito. We saw the Andean Cock of the rock lek in Mindo and Intag Valley. Have fun!

Have fun in Ecuador and in the Napo river area. We spent over two months in Quito (prefer the cooler climate there than the hot and humid Amazon) and birding was excellent around Quito (over 200 lifers there for me). In Napo, we stayed for 3 nights at the La Selva Lodge and loved the birding and the hikes there. They have a tall tower from where you get great sightings. The boat ride from El Coca to the lodges on the Napo river is amazing! I don't remember the season when the river dries up a bit and boat access stops.

I hear the border area between Panama and Colombia is great for the Harpy eagle as well. If you have time, check out the Antisana Volcano paramo. The Yanacocha Reserve, one hour from Quito was amazing as well besides the famous Mindo, which is two hrs drive from Quito. We saw the Andean Cock of the rock lek in Mindo and Intag Valley. Have fun!
Thanks ssaibal! We ARE planning to hit all the spots you mentioned and more as we'll be in EC almost 2 months. Yes, probably the best place to see a Harpy Eagle is the Darien Gap area and seeing that bird would be a great excuse to go there, but if I can see one on this trip all the better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back