• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egyptian Fruit Bat and another, Cyprus (1 Viewer)

The avifauna doesn't suggest so.
Though not politically, surely Cyprus, both geographically and by avifauna, is part of Asia, along with the neighbouring land mass of Anatolia and Syria et al.

Maybe just safer to say Western Paleactic :)

This paper on bats in Syria may be of some interest in relation to potential occurrences on Cyprus. It also mentions that there are several large colonies of Egyptian Fruit Bat along the southern Turkish coastline.

Though not politically, surely Cyprus, both geographically and by avifauna, is part of Asia, along with the neighbouring land mass of Anatolia and Syria et al.

Maybe just safer to say Western Paleactic :)

This paper on bats in Syria may be of some interest in relation to potential occurrences on Cyprus. It also mentions that there are several large colonies of Egyptian Fruit Bat along the southern Turkish coastline.

Thanks for this Jos.
Many resident and migratory birds are familliar from Europe and having travelled extensively in Asia, I can think of only one species I've seen there that I see here, Black Francolin. I'd have said the avifauna was leaning more toward the African as some, apparently consider Cyprus to be part of North Africa or the Middle East but I certainly don't think the avifauna, with the odd exception, is representative of Asia?

Last edited:
I'd have said the avifauna was leaning more toward the African as some, apparently consider Cyprus to be part of North Africa or the Middle East but I certainly don't think the avifauna, with the odd exception, is representative of Asia?
We are in broadly agreement, when saying Asia I meant Anatolia and Syria, generally defined geographically as Asia, rather than the more distant Oriental parts.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back