• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EII - Increased Brightness following on from 100th Anniversary Edition (9 Viewers)

"It’s not that I actively dislike my 8x30 EII, it's just for me that it’s lacking in comparison to other binoculars
In particular, for whatever reason the width of the FOV is a distraction rather than a delight - in marked contrast to my 7x42 FL’s
(it’s hard to pin down why, but the view is not ‘homogenous’ in the same way that it is with the Zeiss)"

I agree with you on that point. The EII view is not as homogenous as other large FOV binoculars I own. I understand what you mean about the big FOV being almost distracting. I enjoy the view on the new WA Kowa BD XII 6.5x32 more than the EII I think. It could be the difference in the porro and roof view when you start getting a really big FOV. I don't think the EII has hugely different transmission values compared to the Habicht although they are lower. I feel a large part of why the EII appears darker to many people than the Habicht is the red bias that Nikon chooses to use for whatever reason. It is kind of like Leica in that maybe Nikon chooses the red bias because they like the image quality better.

https://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=695397&d=1558116954

Last edited:
I neither dabble nor collect, and suppose there are few reasons to buy these now.
For me it was all about ergonomics; the light porro design that fits the hand, the easy focus, with a comfortable rather than stunning view. My Mum & Dad would always reach for a very similar Zeiss-type in the last decade of their lives as they became frail. I wanted a new pair, and Nikon are unlikely to build them again.

Will Swaro upgrade their Habicht and rectify the known 'compromises' we read of? I hope so, then I'll buy a pair.

I agree with you. I have a current issue 8x30 EII and I like it for it's wide FOV but it is not as bright as the Habicht. The EII's color bias is more towards the red spectrum and the Habicht is more neutral. They both have their advantages. The EII is more user friendly with an easier focuser and more comfortable eye cups.

It's more a failing on my part than that of the binocular's, but it's the EII's inability to focus sufficiently beyond infinity to accommodate for my shortsightedness (or vice versa, I guess) that rules it out for me. The few percent less transmission than the Habicht I could live with, as I use single-coated porros regularly.

I like very wide fields of view, and don't mind that with older porro designs edge sharpness falls off more quickly (I'm figuring that's what John and denco refer to when they mention lack of "homogenity") - but given a choice, all things being equal, would obviously prefer something sharp to the edge.

denco, what other larger FOV bins are you referring to. The EII is wide, but I got wider and sharper to the edge,
I got the 8x30E first and the EII was noticeably brighter, so it’s the one I’ve kept. It’d be good for Nikon to run another batch of EII, but I guess they won’t have all the ED/HD/.... marketing “more better” puff, so might get overlooked when compared to the profusion of roofs out there.

PEter

Last edited:
The sample I received yesterday from a reliable and well reviewed eBay seller in Japan is serial number 821,926. The objective lenses have a purplish hue and the oculars a greenish hue. The image is stunning and presents a sharper and more 3-dimensional image than my wife’s Zeiss FL 8x32.

George

The sample I received yesterday from a reliable and well reviewed eBay seller in Japan is serial number 821,926. The objective lenses have a purplish hue and the oculars a greenish hue. The image is stunning and presents a sharper and more 3-dimensional image than my wife’s Zeiss FL 8x32.

George
Interesting your comparison
I was seeing the possibility to buy Zeiss Victory 8x32 T * FL, just to have another compact binocular, but waterproof, with nitrogen filling, thus avoiding the embarrassment of the eyepieces

I'll study more about it, to see if it's really worth it

Regarding the Nikon EII 8x30 100th anniversary my serial number: 81766

I consider the binocular a spectacle, and at all times I fall in love more with this beautiful equipment

it is worth highlighting the sharpness and the super wide field
the focus mechanism is smooth and precise, the diopter adjustment very precise, once adjusted it does not move any more

Here are a couple pics of the E2 8x30 and E2 10x35 objectives . Both bins were purchased brand new from Japan in December 2018 . You can see the difference in coatings colour between the two models .

Attachments

• DSC00953 (Large).JPG
    DSC00953 (Large).JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00954 (Large).JPG
    DSC00954 (Large).JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 62
Interesting your comparison
I was seeing the possibility to buy Zeiss Victory 8x32 T * FL, just to have another compact binocular, but waterproof, with nitrogen filling, thus avoiding the embarrassment of the eyepieces
The FL 8x32 is very nice indeed. In misty or drizzly weather it would be preferable to the E2. The FL is very compact and light. I find the ergonomics to be very pleasurable as is the feel of the armour. The focus is very precise. It takes very little movement of the focuser to make the image change, but when in focus the image is wonderful. I have used her FL at night as well, and it performs nicely, within the light transmission limits of the 32mm objective. With glasses on, I see the FOV out to the hard stops, unlike the E2 which I have to use without glasses. These instruments are still available at a price less than the SF 8x32 (which I have not had the opportunity to look through).

George

Last edited:
The FL 8x32 is very nice indeed. In misty or drizzly weather it would be preferable to the E2. The FL is very compact and light. I find the ergonomics to be very pleasurable as is the feel of the armour. The focus is very precise. It takes very little movement of the focuser to make the image change, but when in focus the image is wonderful. I have used her FL at night as well, and it performs nicely, within the light transmission limits of the 32mm objective. With glasses on, I seen the FOV out to the hard stops, unlike the E2 which I have to use without glasses. These instruments are still available at a price less than the SF 8x32 (which I have not had the opportunity to look through).

George
thanks for the report friend

I will try to buy Victory FL
I'm sure it will be a great purchase for my small collection

I recently received a pair of 10X35E "C" from Japan with S/N 616829 so they made more! Whoops, I just corrected, 10X35 not 7X35!
Earlier E Series': Numbering, Production and Popularity
In contrast to the EII, previous versions of the E series were far more popular, and increasingly so as one goes back in time - when they were Nikon's premium binocular line

Bear in mind that prior to the introduction of phase coating on roof prism binoculars (developed and first used by Zeiss in 1988), it was not possible for roof prisms to equal the sharpness of Porro prisms
And the availability of affordable roof prism models of good optical quality, that we now take for granted, did not commence until the first decade of the 21st century

So as context for many, and nostalgia for some . . .

A) Multi Coated E Series - from 1988 to 1998 (90k+ over 11 years)
- 8x30 from 400k: 400,174 - 448,643+ (48k+)

- 10x35 from 600k: 600,542 to 615,676+ (15k+)

- 7x35 from 200k: 200,347 to 217,591+ (17k+)

- 12x40 from 800k: 800,204 to 811,718+ (11k+)

B) Single Coated E Series - 1978 to 1987 (180k+ over 10 years)
- 8x30 from 880k: 880,276 to 936,734+ (56k+)

- 10x35 from 110k: 114,772 to 153,420+ (43k+)

- 7x35 from 770k: 770,100 to 818,427+ (48k+)

- 12x40 from 660k: 661,428 to 693,341+ (33k+)

John

p.s. again the numbering is from my observations

Last edited:
Earlier E Series': Numbering, Production and Popularity
In contrast to the EII, previous versions of the E series were far more popular, and increasingly so as one goes back in time - when they were Nikon's premium binocular line

Bear in mind that prior to the introduction of phase coating on roof prism binoculars (developed and first used by Zeiss in 1988), it was not possible for roof prisms to equal the sharpness of Porro prisms
And the availability of affordable roof prism models of good optical quality, that we now take for granted, did not commence until the first decade of the 21st century

So as context for many, and nostalgia for some . . .

A) Multi Coated E Series - from 1988 to 1998 (90k+ over 11 years)
- 8x30 from 400k: 400,174 - 448,643+ (48k+)

- 10x35 from 600k: 600,542 to 615,676+ (15k+)

- 7x35 from 200k: 200,347 to 217,591+ (17k+)

- 12x40 from 800k: 800,204 to 811,718+ (11k+)

B) Single Coated E Series - 1978 to 1987 (180k+ over 10 years)
- 8x30 from 880k: 880,276 to 936,734+ (56k+)

- 10x35 from 110k: 114,772 to 153,420+ (43k+)

- 7x35 from 770k: 770,100 to 818,427+ (48k+)

- 12x40 from 660k: 661,428 to 693,341+ (33k+)

John

p.s. again the numbering is from my observations
Hi John, I can expand you serial number ranges. My multicoated 10x35s are 616,458

Glen

Attached, an image of my eii (809… sn) and an older E 7x35C. The eii has the violet coatings, the E has the green. The 7x35 is a little brighter, to my eyes, but not much. This eii, according to the hypothesis of this thread, would have the older coatings among eii models, but the color matches that in the anniversary edition. Maybe there is something more than the objective coating color that was changed? Anyway, if I were to learn that there is a slightly brighter eii, I wouldn’t get it. Honestly I’m enjoying the view and the 'eye feel' of the older 7x35 more, despite it having a smaller fov, clear signs of wear and tear and a slightly stiffer focus.

Attachments

• IMG_8088.jpeg
    IMG_8088.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Attached, an image of my eii (809… sn) and an older E 7x35C. The eii has the violet coatings, the E has the green. The 7x35 is a little brighter, to my eyes, but not much. This eii, according to the hypothesis of this thread, would have the older coatings among eii models, but the color matches that in the anniversary edition. Maybe there is something more than the objective coating color that was changed? Anyway, if I were to learn that there is a slightly brighter eii, I wouldn’t get it. Honestly I’m enjoying the view and the 'eye feel' of the older 7x35 more, despite it having a smaller fov, clear signs of wear and tear and a slightly stiffer focus.
I don't understand. Mine has the serial number 822... but it has green reflections on the objectives when the light is reflected perpendicular to the glass, it does become purple when you look at it at an angle. The ocular lenses have different tones of olive green reflections when the light hits perpendicular. Since I see here that the new coatings have a purple tint. Does it mean that with these new batches of EII Nikon went back to the older coatings?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back