• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eliza(beth)'s Mexican Sheartail Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
I choose to open this thread just to keep the different dedicatees and the different Messieurs Lefèvre apart, i.e. Auguste Lefèvre versus (the Wife of) Amédée Lefèvre (even if earlier dealt with in the long and winding thread Monsieur Lefèvre's invalid (Northern) Gannet [here; from the (foot-)note in post #3, and the recent posts in #17–21].

Thus, let's return to the dedicatee in ...

eliza as in:
• the Mexican Sheartail (Hummingbird) Doricha eliza LESSON & DELATTRE 1839 (here) as "C. [COLIBRI] ELIZA, Trochilus Eliza" (*):
Le nom d'Eliza est celui de l'épouse du docteur Amédée Lefèvre, professeur de zoologie et de matière médicale à Rochefort.

Today's Key to Scientific Names explain this eponym as:
eliza
Éliza Lefèvre (fl. 1869) wife of French zoologist Prof. Amédée Lefèvre (d. 1869) (Doricha).

In the Paper Le rôle fondamental d'Amédée LEFÈVRE, médecin de la Marine (1798-1869), en médecine du travail et en histoire de la médecine (here), by Michel Valentin & Pierre-Marie Niaussat (1979) we find the following phrase/clue on who Elizabeth 'Eliza' Lefèvre might have been:
Amédée Lefèvre ...
[top of page 411] Rentré en France, marié en 1834 avec la fille d'un médecin de Bordeaux, il est en service à l'Hôpital maritime de Rochefort lorsqu'il est envoyé quelques semaines à Toulon, pour l'épidémie de choléra.
Maybe his Wife (or at least his Marriage) could be found in Bordeaux?

Contrary to Laurent's interpretation/reading in post #18, in the earlier thread): "de son vivant époux d'Elizabeth Hardy, demeurant à Rochefort", I read the Death (Décés) Record of Amédée Lefèvre as [my blue bolds]:
de son vivant époux d'Elizabeth Gardey, demeurant à Rochefort

See the entry itself, and/or the excerpt, below:

Amédée Lefévre, 220 of 243.jpg

Detail.jpg
Also compare the Initial letter in/of Gardey, with other names in the same Book/Record starting with G (or H) ...

All in line with what's told about Amédée Lefèvre here:
[...]
Marié en 1834 avec Elisabeth GARDEY, fille d’un médecin de Bordeaux.
[...]

SOURCES : Dictionnaire des marins français, Etienne Taillemite. Le rôle fondamental d’Amédée Lefévre médecin de la marine 1798-1869 en médecine du travail et en histoire de la médecine, Dr Michel Valentin, Médecin général Pierre Marie Niaussat, biusanté parisdescartes.fr.Bio Lefévre, CTHS la France savante, Pascal Even.

To me (with my meager understanding of French) it looks like you're searching for a Elizabeth 'Eliza' Lefèvre, née Gardey, wife of French zoologist Prof. Amédée Lefèvre (1798–1869), probably originating from Bordeaux.

Thus, take it for what it's worth ...

Just an observation.

And, as always, don't hesitate to prove me wrong.

Björn

*According to Avibase, a k a Colibrí de Elisa (in Spanish, among other names), alt. Elisakolibri, Eliza Kolibri, Elizakolibri (in German, ditto), or Colibri d’Eliza, alt. Colibri élise (in French) ... and onwards. Clearly showing that this Lady seems pretty unknown.

Last edited:
While I was busy creating this thread (just typing away at my own pace, formatting, inserting links and excerpts, etc., etc.), Martin and Laurent already managed to crack this case!!! (y)

Thus, sorry for cross-posting, and for wasting everyone's time (incl. my own) ... :rolleyes:

First I thought of deleting this thread, but I will let it stay (some of it might be worth reading, and if nothing else, it's far shorter than the other Lefèvre thread) ... all in all, ending up with:

eliza as in:
• the Mexican Sheartail (Hummingbird) Doricha eliza LESSON & DELATTRE 1839, as "C. [COLIBRI] ELIZA, Trochilus Eliza"
= Mrs/Madame Elizabeth 'Eliza' Lefèvre, born/née Gardey (18011877), wife of the French Dr. ("médecin de la marine", etc., etc.) and Professor Amédée Lefèvre (1798–1869), with even more exact details in Laurent's post #23.

Well done guys! 🎖️

Björn

PS. If Dr. Amédée Lefèvre himself truly (also?) was a "zoologist" I cannot tell. He might have been. Or not.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back