• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Espanola, Ontario, Canada - is this a juvenile Cedar Waxwing? June 2023 mixed forest (1 Viewer)

Bird Brainer

Canada
Hi again, my Merlin app is telling me I have Cedar Waxwings, but I am not sure if this is one. It seems small, I cannot place it. Many thanks again
for help identifying!!!!

Attachments

• unkwnown bird four.jpg
    unkwnown bird four.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 55
  • unidentified fly catcher.jpg
    unidentified fly catcher.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 25
Peaked, flat head, dull wing bars and medium projection suggest willow flycatcher to me. It could be a wood Pewee although the bars are perhaps too pronounced, primary projection too slight. I don't think we can safely rule out other empids with a photo of this quality

Peaked, flat head, dull wing bars and medium projection suggest willow flycatcher to me. It could be a wood Pewee although the bars are perhaps too pronounced, primary projection too slight. I don't think we can safely rule out other empids with a photo of this quality
It is probably Alder Flycatcher with the greenish back and very round head. They are also very common in Ontario whereas Willow Flycatcher would be unusual and confined to the immediate boundaries of the Great Lakes. There has never been an ebird report of Willow in Espanola, although they are nearby. It’s difficult to say for certain, as always, but to me it looks more like Alder.

It is probably Alder Flycatcher with the greenish back and very round head. They are also very common in Ontario whereas Willow Flycatcher would be unusual and confined to the immediate boundaries of the Great Lakes. There has never been an ebird report of Willow in Espanola, although they are nearby. It’s difficult to say for certain, as always, but to me it looks more like Alder.
I saw the ebird reports but they seemed thin on the ground in Espanola for some reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back