• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Starling? Wichita, KS 4/5/23 (1 Viewer)

frankfurter

United States
Howdy group - I am trying to identify all the birds that come to my feeder this year, 12 so far! This one came to visit the finch feeder just now, and I wasn't sure what it was. It looked similar to the European Starlings that visit, but this one had odd brown highlights on his wings, and almost a badge or shield on his back, also outlined in brown. The rest was black, and it didn't have the unique purple-blue metallic look around the neck and head. What do the experts say?

IMG_0933.jpeg

I have no idea but I do know it's not a Starling.

A warm welcome to you Frank from those of us on BirdForum. Enjoy yourself!

Apart from the features you already mentioned, have a look at the bill shapes as well (this bird has a more sturdy, conical bill).

Male red-winged blackbird. The pale feather fringes (with brownish/reddish fringes higher up the back) are typical of non-breeding or immature males.
(A similar pattern sometimes shows up in breeding males, but they're still blacker overall.)

This time of year the adult males should all be in breeding plumage, and your bird is extra pale, especially on the head, so I'll call this an immature male.

Thanks everyone! Great info. I do see red-winged blackbirds in my yard, though never at my feeder. I appreciate everyone's time. It's a great time of year, the leaves are returning, the lawn is turning green again, and the Goldfinches are back! Thanks all. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back