• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extinct Night herons from islands (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
Here is a new paper by Julian Hume which gives a very good overview on the extinct night herons of the world

Osteological and historical data on extinct island night herons (Aves: Ardeidae), with special reference to Ascension Island, the Mascarenes and Bonin Islands​

Abstract​

Night herons of the genus Nycticorax and Nyctanassa are adept island colonisers, occurring on a number of oceanic islands and island archipelagos. Continental species and those inhabiting large islands are generally not considered threatened, whereas night herons restricted to small, oceanic islands are particularly vulnerable to human interference. As a result, six out of nine described species and one subspecies, all derived from Nycticorax nycticorax, Nycticorax caledonicus or Nyctanassa violacea, are now extinct whereas a further three extinct species await description. The extinct island endemics generally exhibit morphological adaptations to an insular environment and diet, such as an increase or decrease in size, robust jaws and legs, and smaller wings with associated reduced flying ability than founding stock. Here I present an osteological comparison along with historical descriptions of the extinct, oceanic island night herons, with special reference to the Mascarene and Ascension fossil species, and Bonin Island subspecies, and show the degree of morphological changes between the founding and island taxa. I further discuss the reasons why they became extinct.

The paper is a pre-proof and open access

Here is a new paper by Julian Hume which gives a very good overview on the extinct night herons of the world

Osteological and historical data on extinct island night herons (Aves: Ardeidae), with special reference to Ascension Island, the Mascarenes and Bonin Islands​

The paper is a pre-proof and open access

Thanks for posting that! I worked on Ascension Island for a couple of years & the Night Heron has always fascinated me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back