• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ficedula ... hypoleuca vs albicollis ... Your IDea please. 👍 (1 Viewer)

jbpixels

I captured this migratory cutie yesterday afternoon close to Starnberg/Bavaria.
Please share your ID knowledge with me. I will upload a third pic to the gallery soon.
Overall a more greyish impression with strong whites. A collared?
Thank you for your support.

Attachments

• xcatcher1.JPG
    xcatcher1.JPG
    494.6 KB · Views: 29
  • xcatcher2.JPG
    xcatcher2.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Dear Bewick,
thank you for your ID knowledge. I thought of course about Pied too. What do you think of this eBird one. Any similarities vs the more extensive white patch. A valid feature?

Attachments

• collared.jpg
    collared.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 14
Dear Bewick,
thank you for your ID knowledge. I thought of course about Pied too. What do you think of this eBird one. Any similarities?

Apologies the link is bringing me to the e-bird gallery?

Edit- I understand- those images show much more extensive white patches and also show paler rumps. The first one shows a slightly less extensive wing patch however does have a clearly pale, almost white, rump.

Dear Bewick,
thank you for your ID knowledge. I thought of course about Pied too. What do you think of this eBird one. Any similarities vs the more extensive white patch. A valid feature?
Replying for this photo-

It has the pale rump that you would expect from a collared. Also the white patch on the wing is definitely more extensive then of the one on your bird in that picture.

Apologies the link is bringing me to the e-bird gallery?

Edit- I understand- those images show much more extensive white patches and also show paler rumps. The first one shows a slightly less extensive wing patch however does have a clearly pale, almost white, rump.
Thank you for having a look at the eBird gallery and at my copy and paste capture from their gallery.
I believe now, that the tiny white patch on the outer primaries nails the F. hypoleuca id. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back