• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Guide to Birds of Greater Southern Africa (1 Viewer)

I don't see any point in disputing a purely personal opinion.
If that poster is the artist, John Gale, I think he has every right to respond to criticism of his work. For the record, I think they look great, Petrels are quite rigid in flight anyway IMO.

Last edited:
I DO see a point in disagreeing with a personal opinion when your own opinion (and clearly that of others) is not in concordance. You might as well say you don't see the point in reviewing a book, since it's just a personal opinion.

For what it's worth, I think the Petrel plates John posted here look superb and I'm at a loss to understand how anybody could describe the birds as looking "stiff".
Perhaps someone who's never seen a Petrel?

Thanks for the review, just out of a matter if interest and for future reference, which of my petrels you are describing as 'the rather rigid specimens'. Thank you.
I’ll never forget the first time I flipped through my first copy of Birds of East Africa in a NYC Barnes and Nobel as a kid. Your artwork was the inspiration for my future 15+ trips to Africa (mostly Kenya and Tanzania), and also likely influenced my decision to study bio in college. Chalk it up to personal preference, as someone who’s done lots of sea-watching in Southern Africa, I suppose I’m just particularly drawn to Peacock’s petrels in the sasol guide. I certainly didn’t mean to offend, I suppose my observation was simple a result of personal preference in regards to my experience with Sasol and my love of Faansie’s artwork. Congrats on the monumental achievement- as specified in my review, this is, in my humble opinion, the best South African bird guide on the market.
Warm regards,
-AG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back