• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldfare's song, 20 Jan, Warsaw, PL (1 Viewer)

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland
This morning I saw a singing Fieldfare perched in a tree that had indistinct and limited spotting on the sides of its belly and only a small area of yellowish orange suffusion at the upper breast, under the chin (= 2cy spring as per Blasco Zumeta's pictures?). Its song reminded me of Eurasian Jay's subsong (BTW, jays don't have a plastic song, do they?); do you think this is a subsong or maybe even a plastic song and how do you know (perhaps the division is somehow relative/hard to quantify)? In Warsaw Fieldfares are present year round.

Subsong fainter, more guttural and warbling.
is all BotW has to say (as per a Google search, no information about the plastic song, though I have no access to the full article). XenoCanto only has recordings of subsongs (mine is probably also it): Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) :: xeno-canto. The introduction to this (Plastic songs) post also sways me in that direction (EDIT: except for the given timeframe).

Note: I think it would be easier for you to download a given file in a .wav processing app (like Merlin) and then be able to navigate the recording (to avoid crow, gull and tit calls and occassional cars or talking) and see the sonogram as well. I recorded ample material, but feel free to cherry-pick only some parts of it.

Attachments

• Fieldfare's song (13 s).wav
    1.1 MB
  • Fieldfare's song (1 m 12 s).wav
    12.1 MB
  • Fieldfare's song (53 s).wav
    8.9 MB
  • Fieldfare's song (1 m 54 s).wav
    19.2 MB
Last edited:
I'm not holding my breath for answers, but--anyway--here is a clip of the longest recording after normalisation.

Attachments

• XC777018 - Fieldfare - Turdus pilaris.wav
    6.1 MB
I'm not holding my breath for answers, but--anyway--here is a clip of the longest recording after normalisation.
In the meantime, I have established that this was most likely subsong on the Fieldfare's part.

However, I now wonder whether the gull at the very end of the recording above sounds good for Common Gull (too shrill and rasping for the more harmonious and pleasant but still scolding BHG)? Unless it was one of the larger Larus gulls, possibly.

In the meantime, I have established that this was most likely subsong on the Fieldfare's part.

However, I now wonder whether the gull at the very end of the recording above sounds good for Common Gull (too shrill and rasping for the more harmonious and pleasant but still scolding BHG)? Unless it was one of the larger Larus gulls, possibly.

To my ear 01, the gull sounded like one of the larger Larus?
Thanks for the Fieldfare sub song (never heard that before) also fwiw, I heard Redwing sub singing during early October last year, before laying eyes on them first, I normally hear them on fine days just before departure during April.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back