• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding Woodcocks in the Chicago area (2 Viewers)

willister

I want to see one. Not just hear one. I got to see a shadow flippy-flapping up and away at Black Swamp Observatory a couple weeks back. I'm hooked. I really want a view of the absurdity of these crazy chickens.

Any tips? I can see the e-bird hotspots, but that doesn't generally give quite enough to actually find them. At least not for me.

Thanks!

I want to see one. Not just hear one. I got to see a shadow flippy-flapping up and away at Black Swamp Observatory a couple weeks back. I'm hooked. I really want a view of the absurdity of these crazy chickens.

Any tips? I can see the e-bird hotspots, but that doesn't generally give quite enough to actually find them. At least not for me.

Thanks!
Can't help with Chicago, but there are a couple of Woodcock staying in NYC's Bryant Park, just behind the mid Manhattan main public library at 5th Ave and 42nd St.
Bryant Park is only 10 acres, with lots of facilities, so these birds can be quite urbanized. Chicago surely has some similar situations.

Bryant Park is only 10 acres, with lots of facilities, so these birds can be quite urbanized. Chicago surely has some similar situations.
You weren't kidding: Google Maps

That is not a giant park, and from the shadow, the picture was taken midday. That's definitely not the behavior I would have been looking for.

You weren't kidding: Google Maps

That is not a giant park, and from the shadow, the picture was taken midday. That's definitely not the behavior I would have been looking for.
They are usually in the planted areas near 40th St, more towards 6th Ave. They can still be a bear to spot, even knowing that they are there.

Finally got a decent view of one! They seemed to be all over here, eastern Mass., in late March and early April. I pursued them but never got a clean view of one in my binos, only silhouettes of dark shapes. Then, I didn't hear any for a month and I assumed they moved on.

Last week, I was out on a walk at dusk on trail that passes a nearby solar farm when I heard the distinctive quacking and flittering sounds they make - 2 different ones. I didn't have binos. But, I eventually heard the quacking right next to the trail. I crept closer, using a small knoll as a blind, and got to within 15 feet of the bird. Even though it was getting dark, I was so close I finally got a decent look - I could make out the long bill, brown color and body of it.

Looking forward to more sightings of them! I stopped at a highway rest stop recently in CT and could hear one next to the parking lot in the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back