• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fish List (1 Viewer)

I've been fishing and keeping fish for nearly as long as I've been alive, 60+ yrs. Never been one to keep lists. I've been downsizing my aquariums, down to seven from a couple dozen. For Americans there is NANFA. I'm sure some of those folks keep lists.

I've been fishing and keeping fish for nearly as long as I've been alive, 60+ yrs. Never been one to keep lists. I've been downsizing my aquariums, down to seven from a couple dozen. For Americans there is NANFA. I'm sure some of those folks keep lists.
I stopped keeping fish for ethical reasons, over twenty years ago.

Specifically in regard to marine fish, 99% of stock has to be wild sourced due to difficulties in being able to breed them and there are some seriously, harmful practices employed in catching what you see in the pet shops.

Specifically in regard to marine fish, 99% of stock has to be wild sourced due to difficulties in being able to breed them and there are some seriously, harmful practices employed in catching what you see in the pet shops.
I've never kept marine fish, only fresh water, mostly Asian fish. There are harmful practices involved with some fresh water also. I haven't got new fish for at least ten years. If I could find good homes for what I have left I would. I've grown adverse to keeping any critters and prefer to just view them insitu.

Yes. Stick to conserving Lake Malawi cichlids etc instead.

Most/many of the African lake cichlids are. A major reason is Nile perch (e.g. lake Victoria). As you know, cichlids especially have undergone spectacular adaptive radiations to evolve a multitude of interesting and different forms. As a bonus many are very brightly coloured---easily approaching reef fish brilliance

Edit: for example:

Last edited:
Haha, what an about turn! You have to learn to dive next.

Anyway, how are you getting on with iNaturalist? I'm thinking it probably is the best way to keep a fish list because photography is the way I record fish when I'm diving so I have photos of most of what I see. And the names of fish species seem to change over time, and from one location to another so iNat can manage that for me. One thing I'd like from iNat is to be able to ask "What new species did I see on that last trip?" Maybe there's a way, but I haven't found it.
You can see new species for a give day through the Calendar item under your profile. You can't select a range of days though, nor apply any filter to the results.

Can anyone suggest what was nipping me in the sea in Cyprus?

They were pretty small, Stickleback size or a bit bigger and as I lay, just rolling around on the tideline, they kept nipping me. It was uncomfortable enough to make me leave the water.

Ha ha ha ha never say never.

I really thought I hated water. Then I snorkeled for the first time ever in February in Saudi Arabia, because we simply already were there and the Farasans may be one the world's best places, so we had to try it. 6 weeks later we went to Bali, already with our own gear, focusing on snorkeling, and now we have 331 species of fish on our list and counting. It's absolutely fantastic, there are so many species of fish, most of them completely oblivious to your presence and very close by. And you just hang there, with no effort, no gravity, just looking around.

Finally got through all my records from my dive photos and log books. 516 species recorded, with photos of about half. Plus 30 elasmobranches. It gives a much better understanding, doing this. The difference with birding is that you can very well see a fish in Hawaii that you might have seen in Madagascar many years before., and this seems to be the way to discover that, because you are unlikely to remember that.

I love iNat for everything, obviously. I am now top 10 there in vertebrate species I think (hard to fight big birders, ironically). Would have no fish list without it, we only bought some marune life books now, since it looks like we are gona stick with it, so until that, all ID was by people on iNat. For sea life there are fantastic IDers (and not that many observations, so they are not overwhelmed).

Btw. the camera question was not on me, but I'd like to say we got the Olympus TG6 and that's marvelous for the job. If you aren't diving, you don't need any cover, it's waterproof (really, not "waterproof" like most normal gadgets) to a few meters - and it's just made for this job, so it has great internal logic for fish images - and it's also fantastic for general macro. If the subject lets you go 5 mms from it, it beats DSLR with extension tubes any day. But it's, amusingly, absolute rubbish for landscape. I don't understand how they managed it, it's literally worse than my phone.
I don't have anything to record with and I'am goning to hurghada soon.Do you know of any identification tool, like field guide or similar?

I don't have anything to record with and I'am goning to hurghada soon.Do you know of any identification tool, like field guide or similar?

We used Collins "Corral reef guide: Red sea" by E. Lieske and R.F. Myers. It's older and the print quality is affected by that - but once you get used to how sometimes the colors in photos are distorted, it's pretty good - I found it easier to use than drawn guides; being focused on Red Sea also helps, the Indo-Pacific species are just too many. The biggest catch is that sometimes early forms are not illustrated well and that can be confusing.

The obvious problem is that you can't take it in the water with you. Thus my recommendation is still to go and buy a TG6 :) Having the abilities to compare photos with the book out of water was really helpful to me in learning the species (but yes, we ended up relying on iNat much less using the book).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back