• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fledglings missing? (1 Viewer)

Cherry1234

United States
Hi! So there was a fledgling stuck in a storm drain in my neighborhood. It had been there for days before my dog noticed it I believe because there was a nest on the ground after strong winds Friday but she didn’t notice it until Sunday morning. Sunday evening I saw that it’s parents were going down there feeding it. But Monday it was strong enough to fly/ hop and flutter out and I noticed it on my neighbors yard right after it ran into some bushes, I saw it’s parent come out and fly away. I don’t know if the parent knew it went into the bushes. But I haven’t seen the fledgling nor the parents in that area anymore. I know when it came out it made a call and stretches it’s mouth opened as if it was hungry but no one came right away before it went in the bushes. I haven’t seen it since then and we had rain right after so that was the last placed i saw it.

Hi there Cherry and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

We all see so much of this during the breeding season causing concern but somehow the majority of the fledglings make it thankfully. Of course, there comes a time when the parents stop feeding them teaching them to look for food on their own. All part of the growing up stage.
Please enjoy yourself here.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits
Hi there Cherry and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

We all see so much of this during the breeding season causing concern but somehow the majority of the fledglings make it thankfully. Of course, there comes a time when the parents stop feeding them teaching them to look for food on their own. All part of the growing up stage.
Please enjoy yourself here.
Thank you for your reply! Do you know why I wouldn’t see it anymore? It was just fluttering and slightly flying I wouldn’t think within hours it would be able to leave her yard completely but also I haven’t seen the parents anymore either.

Cherry, it's just all part of the nature scene. They fly on to other spots and engage in nature and it's insect life and other feeding areas with edible vegetation.

Okay last question so it is not likely that the birds parents didn’t find it when it moved from the storm drain and into the bushes, and that it passed away from starvation or the weather? Just because I tried to check here and there yesterday to see if it was still there but it rained quite a bit so i couldn’t check during those times and didn’t think it’d fly away at that time.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back