• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida bird question (2 Viewers)

Ivy P

Dear All,

My sister in law in central Florida sent me a picture of this bird sitting in her birdfeeder. Any idea of which bird it is? Thanks!
429585736_986308533017740_4217837661962372710_n.jpg429585736_986308533017740_4217837661962372710_n.jpg429592282_241359772390303_5871159938238557035_n.jpg

Could be wrong with a pic like this, but I think the bill looks too thin and pointy for House Sparrow, and it also looks like it might have a narrow pale median crown stripe.
Personally don’t see the narrow pale median crown stripe and bill size looks fine to me.

My chief potential objection to house sparrow would be that the supercilium appears to extend too far forward and looks too pale/contrasting. The bill-shape does also seem more reminiscent of an American sparrow. But in photos of this low quality (no offence) I wouldn't go further.

Images not ideal however, I’m seeing a white super, black eye-stripe with a dark crown-stripe also a pale “smallish” bill, believe this rules out House Sparrow and suggests a possible Chipping Sparrow…any other images no matter how less than perfect, might be of some help.

Cheers

Images not ideal however, I’m seeing a white super, black eye-stripe with a dark crown-stripe also a pale “smallish” bill, believe this rules out House Sparrow and suggests a possible Chipping Sparrow…any other images no matter how less than perfect, might be of some help.

Cheers
I can’t really make out a black eye stripe, but I do agree the super looks to extensive for a house sparrow. Changed my mind and agree that it’s likely not a house sparrow.

I don't know why you guys are unsure
Depends what you mean by 'unsure'. I'd characterize my position (and I suspect some other commenters here may be similar) more as 'don't know'. You may know chipping sparrow well, so you know it's a chipping sparrow. I mostly don't do American sparrows so I just know it's probably not a house sparrow. We're not actually disagreeing at all.

I don't know why you guys are unsure, this looks like a very clear Chipping Sparrow to me. Definitely NOT a House Sparrow.
For me it's clearly not a House Sparrow, but beyond that the image is simply not clear enough for me to be sure that we can trust the details we think that we can see. That's why I'm unsure that it's definitely a Chipping..

Thanks everyone. I have to tell my sister in law to take better pictures. I didn't think it looked like a house sparrow either because of the stripe and I think it may be a chipping sparrow as where she lives in is the southern range of its habitat.

Thanks everyone. I have to tell my sister in law to take better pictures. I didn't think it looked like a house sparrow either because of the stripe and I think it may be a chipping sparrow as where she lives in is the southern range of its habitat.
My sister in law took another picture. I think it's a chipping sparrow.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    76.2 KB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back